Munich December Itinerary

Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich December Itinerary

Together with 4 people, we will be in Munich for 6 nights in December, coming from Nuremberg. I was thinking about this itinerary:

Day 1: half day Munich
Day 2: full day in Munich
Day 3: The Royal Castles Neuschwanstein & Linderhof (organised tour) http://www.stadtrundfahrten-muenchen...schwanstein-1/
Day 4: Garmisch-Partenkirchen & Zugspitze Mountain (train)
Day 5: Augsburg (train)
Day 6: full day Munich
Day 7: fly back.

Now I was thinking of whether I should replace day 4 or day 5 with this: Private Trip to Berchtesgaden and Konigssee (http://munichcitytours.rezgo.com/det...-and-konigssee).

Just for you to know before Munich we would've already seen Cologne, Bonn, Aachen, Nuremberg, Bamberg, Wurzburg and Regensburg, in the same trip.

What do you think?
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 04:47 AM

The Königssee is very beautiful - it is a fjord and the boat trip is very scenic. At end of the lake you leave the boat and you can do a short hike to another, smaller lake, which is very recommendable. Unfortunately, it is not clear if the tour includes the boat trip (which is the main attraction there).

Be aware that in December the boat sails only on Saturdays and Sundays.

I would recommend to do this daytrip on your own. The best idea would be renting a car for the day which gives you the opportunity of some scenic drives. You may easily include Salzburg. Alternativly you can take public transport from München to Berchtesgaden (a combination of train and bus).

And seeing your itinerary, I would skip Augsburg.

When in Aachen have a meal in the Postwagen, a historic little restaurant tucked on the side of the City Hall.
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 05:03 AM

Hi theabez,

You've done a great job mapping out a good itinerary for your visit!

I personally adore the small city of Augsburg and actually find it more charming, more interesting, and more inviting than Munich! I love the small backstreets and canals. It's only about 30 or 40 minutes from Munich, so you could conceivably see some of it in half a day.

As for your day in Garmisch, this is what I always recommend:

Take the train to Garmisch, then go downstairs at the station and follow the signs in the tunnel to the Zugspitzbahn. Take the Zugspitzbahn to the Zugspitzplatt (glacier), about 1h30, and look around. Then take the cable car up to the summit (about 10 minutes) and look around, have lunch or a snack at the restaurant at the top.

Then take the cable car from the summit all the way down to the Eibsee, and enjoy the spectacular views over the lake as you descend. Then take a walk around the lake (1h30) and/or enjoy cake and coffee at the lakeside restaurant. Take the Eibsee bus back to Garmisch and get off at the Marienplatz. Walk down the pedestrian zone of Garmisch, enjoying the frescoed buildings and the tiny Christmas market down by the tourist center. Then walk back to the train station and return to Munich.

This plan will give you some countryside, the mountain, and a glimpse at the town.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi swandav2000, thanks for your tip about GaP. For the descent to Eibsee, and bus back to GaP do I have to by a special ticket?
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 05:16 AM

I love the BMW tour in Munich. Book the English tour. Also check weather and pick best day for Garmisch. Clear skys for the view.
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 05:43 AM

Hi again theabez,

The Bavaria Ticket is valid on the Eibsee bus (but NOT on the town busses -- but you shouldn't be taking any of the town busses).

When you buy your ticket to the Zugspitze, it will include the ascent and the descent; you can go up & come down any way you like!

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 07:28 PM

You mentioned an organized tour of Ludwig's castles. Be sure to check with the company you are interested in to make sure they are running in December.

Another consideration is a daytrip on the train to Salzburg. It is a super little town with a nice Christmas market at that time of year. If you are actually there on Christmas Eve the midnight mass at the cathedral is very moving but show up early or you will be standing in the wings or the back.

If you are doing the Zugspitz ride to the top check the weather first. It can be socked in and limit your experience.