Munich Christmas Market Cancelled

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Christmas Market Cancelled

Hi All,

Should be a surprise to no-one, due to these skyrocketing infection rates. The big market at Marienplatz has been cancelled, but smaller ones where entry can be controlled are still open as yet. I heard that people will need both a vaccine and a negative test to enter.

s
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 11:42 AM

What's the sense around whether those smaller ones will close - is it inevitable? I am wondering what will happen to all those people who have planned Christmas market visits in Germany this year. It all seemed too good to be true, didn't it?

What other sorts of restrictions are you experiencing, Swandav?

Lavandula
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 02:37 AM

As one of those planning a family trip centered in Munich for Christmas markets, I guess we've just converted our childrens'/grandchildrens' Christmas trip presents to flight credits. I'm assuming that other cities will soon follow suit. If my sources are correct, Garmisch-Partenkirchen had already cancelled their markets. Am I right about that Swandav? Even if Munich permits the smaller markets to open with controlled numbers somehow I just can't image the Munich Pink market being much fun with 6 foot distancing restrictions. Nor can I imagine the "fun" of standing in long distanced lines to get into the remaining open markets. So sad.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi lavandula,
No, I don't think it's inevitable that the smaller markets will close. For instance, I believe that Garmisch will go ahead with its market -- but instead of the stalls grouped together in the square, the huts will be strewn out down the length of the pedestrian zone. Day-to-day restrictions are pretty much the same, only that we are back to using the FFP2 masks instead of the surgical masks we used for a few months over the summer. My normal routine remains the same -- grocery shopping, Bible study on post (only 3 of us masked), and Chapel on post (again very few masked). But bars and restaurants are open, etc.

Hi Julie,
Yes, it's sad, and I'm sorry that you and particularly the children and grandchildren will be disappointed. But it's not particularly unexpected... I was quite surprised when they announced some months ago that the markets were going to be open. With vaccine rates so low, it just didn't seem very smart. But, no, as far as I know, the Garmisch market is still going ahead, with the change I wrote about above.

It's just a very frustrating time in the middle of a confusing and frustrating pandemic.

Best of luck through the holiday season, and hopefully we'll all be celebrating in 2022.....

s

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Just learned that Oberammergau and Mittenwald have cancelled their markets. So far, Garmisch is still going ahead.

s
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 02:54 AM

Thanks, swandav, for the update. I'd like to take your info on GAP situation as encouraging (actually the situation you describe of stringing the stalls along the streets sounds almost better than a packed market area at any time IMO) but having been knocked down like an inflatable punching bag on all of this so many times --not just on this trip but on several others cancelled before this one--I'm sort of inclined not to get my hopes up (worse yet those of the grandkids). We have a pre-Thanksgiving conclave coming up this weekend to sort this all out and decide. I'm keeping my expectations low and thinking we will wind up driving to the Florida Keys.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Well Julie and lavandula, you guys were right. Today Bavaria cancelled all Christmas markets. All. And many states are or will be going into lockdown. There is talk that vaccines will be mandatory in the new year... sounds good to me.

Best of luck wherever you end up, Julie!

s
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 07:15 AM

That's a real pity. We came to South Germany few weeks ago and where super excited to see all the Christmas market and show them to our little one.
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 04:05 AM

Fingers crossed, the Basel market is still planning to go ahead. Covid vaccine certificate and ID required for entrance.

We intend to go as often as possible (and do some shopping) to give the stallholders our support.

https://www.basel.com/de/veranstaltu...SAAEgJnifD_BwE

Old Nov 20th, 2021, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi amyst, Sorry that your little one will be disappointed. But of course we are desperate to reduce infections here, as our hospitals are in crisis.

Hi WeisserTee, that's good news, that your markets can be opened and controlled for safety! I hope everything goes smoothly. I remember that our ski lifts were closed last year while yours remained open, with, I think, no serious surge in infections. I know that our vaccination rates are comparable. I can only conclude that you Swiss are in better compliance with regulations. Sadly, I continue to hear of parties throughout Bavaria. Gee, hoping that this is the laaaaast time we have to do this.

s