Search

munich car rental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
munich car rental

hi gang,
i will be hiring a car from munich and wondered if anyone could tell me of any good hire companies.
hope you can help, many thanks
LL
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM
JN

I would go through Gemutlikeit travel. They deal with Auto Europe and the other wholesalers, often getting better prices than you can do on your own. They also have friendly, knowledgeable and helpful service:
http://www.gemut.com/content/view/13/26/

If you reserve by Saturday, you get the benefit of a 15% price reduction. As of April 1, that little benefit will be gone until next year.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:00 PM

I second using Gemutlichkeit. They are extremely helpful. I am also renting my car in Munich and they suggested to pick up away from the airport to save the 19% surcharge so I am picking it up in Schwabing. If you live in the U.S. they have a toll free number 1-800-223-5555.

Question about the 15% off, is that only on a new reservation??
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:42 AM
JN

owinsmom:
NOt sure, but I assume it is for a new reservation only. I just got their newsletter where it was mentioned. We are renting a car from them in fall and they did mention it when we did the reservation in February.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:17 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

>Question about the 15% off, is that only on a new reservation??<

Call Gemut at 800-521-6722

Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Yes, the folks at www.gemut.com (Gemütlichkeit) can be reached at 800-521-6722. My understanding is that since they specialize in Germany rentals (though you can rent in other countries from them as well) they get lower so-called “ethnic” rates from the car rental companies. They seem to always have the lowest price but if not they will match or beat any better rate you find.
Best part is they really know what they are talking about and will steer you in the right direction. They never try to upsell. In fact, they convinced me I didn't need a full size car, that an intermediate would work...it did and I saved about $150.
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM

in germany i have always relied on sixt, or at least our travel person has successfully booked me that way.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 03:30 AM

Let me tell my Gemutlichkeit experience.

Based largely on the recommendations on this board, I contacted Andrew Bestor at Gemutlichkeit for an upcoming rental in Germany (pickup in Frankfurt, return to Munich). I was very pleasantly surprised by the low price -- about $150 lower than the competition for a 10-day rental. The quote was through Auto Europe for a rental from National Car Rental. The return location was not the one I preferred, and on the National website I found a location very close to our hotel, which would be much more convenient. When I talked to Bestor on the phone to make the reserevation, he said he didn't think the location change would be a problem. When I received the voucher, it was for the wrong car class, wrong return time, and the original (wrong) location. I emailed Bestor; the revised voucher had the correct car and date but still the wrong location. In a follow up email Bestor indicated that the desired location was not available to him. I pushed the issue; he said he tried again unsuccessfully to get the change. After stewing on this for a few days I called Auto Europe. Ten minutes later my reservation had been changed to the correct location. I don't know why this was something Bestor couldn't (or wouldn't?) do.

So, the end result is that I have low-cost car rental with convenient pick-up and return locations. I was a little disappointed with my Gemutlichkeit experience, but would probably still use them again.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:14 AM

www.Kayak.Com allows to search multiple sites all at once. Using it a year ago, I had little trouble getting a rental at a good price from Budget in Munich, at the rental place on the periphery.