Munich - Brugge - Paris Itinerary Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 with children ages 12, 17, 20 planning a trip for late August. Our plan is to fly into Munich and fly out of Paris. The kids have never been to Europe so its supposed to be an overview for them.
The tentative itinerary is:

Fri: Arrive Munich mid morning
Sat: Munich
Sun: Munich
Mon: Drive to Baden-Baden go to outdoor spa for swim, stay in Heidelberg
Tues: Drive to to Koblenz possibly boat ride on rhine. Must visit a town close to Koblenz for a couple hours in morning or afternoon because our family is from there. Drive to Brugge or stop half-way.
Wed: Brugge
Thurs:Arrive Paris via train in AM
Friday: Paris
Sat: Fly home

Originally we were just going to do the Munich area but the kids were interested in seeing more of Europe and we don't know when we're going back. We may rent a car on Day 2 in Munich so that we can go visit Eagle's Nest and Ludwigs castles. Any must see's in and around Munich that we may not readily pick up on from the guidebooks? Is Baden-Baden worth it? We figured we would all enjoy the Caracalla Therme and then head up to Heidelberg for the night. Is the drive from Koblenz to Brugge a relatively easy drive?
We would consider staying in Munich one more night since we have a deal with starwoods where you stay 4 nights and get the 5th free and therefore we would be sure to get into our room upon arrival on Friday. But then we'd have to give up Baden-Baden.
Any other comments about the itinerary would be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM

However you have to arrange it I recommend a daytrip out of Muniich to Neuschwanstein. If you drive you can go to several other things in that area, Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal Monastery, and the Wiesekirche. Don't know of your hotel arrangements but the Uhland in Munich is a good family hotel.
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM

In general, I like your choice of cities. Considering you only have 8 full days, I think you may be trying to cram too much in, even though I understand this is an overview for your kids first time.

Munich is one of our favorites and agree that a day trip to one or more of Ludwig's castles is definitely worth it.

Brugge is one of the most charming places anywhere and certainly is most enjoyable in the evenings and early mornings before/after the day crowds are there so an overnight is a very good idea. It's a wonderful respite from large cities.

My concern is that you've only got a day and half in Paris which just isn't enough IMO. If you had at least 3 full days (which is still pushing it) I'd say fine. But if you're really limited to 8 days, I'd say skip Brugge and add those days to Paris. I might have suggested maybe taking a day or so from the Rhine part of your trip, but it really is beautiful and since your family is from there, I'd leave that in the itinerary.
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Sue; For me, Brugge is out of the way for only eight nights. If you stay in Munich for three nights, then go to Heidelberg for two nights. [Much to see in this area] On too Trier for one night. [Great Roman town] Drop the car off and take the train to Paris for your last two nights. iris1745/dick
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I can't tell you what to drop, but I would drop something because a day and a half in Paris is so little, and there is so much to see, I feel you won't get even a feel for Paris. I love Bruges and spent a week there last fall, but with your kids, I might skip it, add a day to Paris, and visit Versailles from Paris instead.

I would prefer to drop a day from Munich, but as Iris pointed out, Bruges is the most out of the way, so for your trip, I think that would be the one I would cut. Heidelberg is also lovely. Check for the dates for the "burning of the castle". If it is happening while you are there, it would be a fun event.

With your short time frame, a stop in Heidelberg, or even Strasbourg (depending on train connections), is more directly on your route to Paris and would save a lot of travel time. Also, both are beautiful and worth a visit. Others may have even better suggestions. At any rate, it is a long trip to Bruges. It might be more enjoyable to spend more time doing things and sight seeing than on the train or highway.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

You've all made some very good points about not having enough time in Paris. We will consider cutting out Bruges and going from Koblenz area directly to Paris by train. We are trying to figure out if we're better off dropping off the car in Koblenz and taking a train from there or driving to Koln and taking a train from there. Any suggestions? Thanks for your responses.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM

To me, it might depend on whether there's a difference in a drop-off fee. If not, I'd probably drive to Koln and take train from there. If you decide to drop it off in Koblenz, stay on the regional trains which go along the river.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:34 PM

Hi Sue,

Okay just home from 2 weeks in the same general area, just backwards. We actually modified our trip while in route, which is sort of a hassle. Here is my best advice...especially taking into account the ages of the "kids". Keep in mind, my suggestions are based on my recent personal experiences not tremendous overall Europe travel..

*Friday and Saturday-Munich (2 nts.) Lots to see in and around(as you mentioned). Skip Ludwigs castles in favor of "better" castles with shorter lines in the Rhine River valley.
*Rent car and drive:
*Sunday-Rothenburg ob der Tauber.(1nt)"Take the Nightwatchmen Tour" at 8pm in the evening:6 euro each, just meet in the town square, everyone will love it. Spend the day exploring the walled city and all it's charm. :Rothenburg is in place of Brugge, which is beautiful, but not for the distance out of your way:
*Monday-St Goar (or someplace along the river)(1 nt.)visit Rhine River valley (Burg Eltzintact castle) and Rheinfelsruins castle) both neat and Koblenz is nearby.
*Cologne(Koln)(1 nt) arrive later in the afternoon drop rental car at train station.8 euro fee. Hotel (Marriott is just 2 blocks from station) and train station is literally built next to the most amazing Cathedral.(Open until 7pm , I think)
*Paris (3 nts)take late morning train into Paris. C'est Voila.
Then fly home.
I'll admit this is a very "on the go" itinerary, but the first 2 nights are in one place and the last 3 nights in Paris, making the middle sort of a "little taste of non-city" europe.
Paris will be fun for all the age groups and lots to do.

Our trip was>
1nt.London:
2nts.Paris:
2nts.Brugge:
1nt.Kolnrented car)
1nt.St.Goar:
1nt.Wurzburg:
1nt.Rothenburg ob der Tauber:
2nts.Munich:
1 nt. London.
2nts.Munichreturned car late on last day in Munich at Munchen airport) Flew to London on BA to Heathrow.
1nt London.( next morning flight home).
Whew! we made it.
Tina
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 01:45 AM

My husband comes from Germany and he thinks yr crazy! Have you looked at a map? I would love to go to Brugge but it's a long way from Munich. Your family will need time to experience the place your in. There are wonderful day trips from Munich and many towns in Germany will give you yr architecture fix, save Brugge for another time. We spent 2 nights in Heidelberg lovely (make sure you are in the older areas/ alt stadt for the character). We went onto Koblenz and had lunch in a pub - wild boar casserole. 2 rivers confluence in Koblenz and this area is quite scenic. DF4848 above is right, train travel is very scenic from Munich to Frankfurt/Koln it was beautiful you get to rest and the train has big windows.( it takes about 6hrs)and you travel along the river. The train station in Koln is right under the famous cathedral. Save your river cruising for Paris on the Seine it's fabulous, you must take them up to Sacre Coeur for the view, Montmartre for their Bohemian fix, I never went up the tower but the top of the Arc de Triumph was spectacular as you have many Boulevards spreading out from this point. The Louvre will need a day! Have a great time.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:50 AM

Just in case you decide to "trim" the itinerary and spend more time in Germany...we took a cruise on the Neckar River from Heidelburg to Hirschhorn through the company Rhein-Neckar Fahrgastschifffahrt. There were lots of families with various aged children and there was plenty for them to see-castles, canoeists, wildlife, how to "lock-up/lock-down" a canal etc. Very relaxing, but entertaining.

This particular cruise was from 12 noon to 7 pm for only 15 euros, but they have shorter trips available, as well. It was most enjoyable, worth the money, and they have drink/food available. While you can sit inside, they have lots of deck space, so be sure and wear the sunscreen!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM

Sue,

My family of 5 (3 kids, ages 8, 10 & 13) is thinking about a 10-14 day trip this summer with Munich and Paris as the beginning/end points. Did you go on your trip? What was your final itinerary? What were the highlights and lowlights? What were the kids' favorite sights/activities?