Munich Bound! Feb 16-22

Search

Munich Bound! Feb 16-22

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Bound! Feb 16-22

I have been to Munich many times and have stayed at the Kempinski, Bayerricher Hof, the Hotel Schlicker and now...because of the board, I have decided to try the Acanthus. (I need a break from the hectic life here in Washington, DC. LOL--this is a mini Vacation.)

The single rate will be 92 Euros a night the hotel for an Alba room on the inside courtyard, including taxes and breakfast.

I got a great deal from my consolidator on the flight of $318 including taxes and it is a direct flight from DC to Munich. The airline is Lufthansa.

Now, my question, is how far is this new hotel I am trying from the main train station? Could I walk it since I only will have one small bag? Greg, at the hotel says it is 20 min from the train station. I did not get that impression from this board. I would then switch from the S-Bahn to the U-Bahn. Since I usually stay centrally I do not ever tranfer trains--is this a big deal? When I am with my husband there we usually rent a car--I am not inclined to do this when I am on my own this trip. I think the public transportation is great in Germany. I will of course take the S-Bahn to the trains station. It is not problem whatever for me to walk all over Munich once I am there. I should be at the main Hauptbahnhof by noon. I land at 10:30AM.

Vilen Danke
Jennifer
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM

A very nice map can be found here:
http://www.stadplandienst.de/
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:25 PM

Take you snow boots.
I think you will have a good time.
I, too, have visited Munich more than twice! I find it to be a very agreeable place, with minimal language problems.

I got the shock of my life one night in a little restaurant off the tourist track. Our waitress turned out to be a real chatterbox in English. She learned it in school. Given the quickness of her responses in a foreign language and her overall presence, I wondered why she was working in a restaurant. She had the brains to do many tasks in the US that should pay more!!

Perhaps she liked it and made a bundle in tips, given her ability to yak with the customers in at least two languages.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:01 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Your trip sounds great-- especially that fare!

I'm one of the Acanthus fans. I have walked from the Acanthus to the station and back (not with a bag though) and it's very do-able. I went to the ViaMichelin site (you can check route/time on foot) and it said 1.2 km/18 minutes. It's almost all on pedestrian streets.

I don't think you'd have a problem switching to the subway at the Hauptbanhof, and the local stop is just a short walk to the hotel.

But for me, I'd probably take a cab. It's not at all far and wouldn't cost you much. (It's just a bit further driving because of one-way streets.) We've done that too... just can't remember.

And you can easily walk from the hotel to the Marienplatz too. I have walked by myself to the Deutches Museum as well.

Enjoy your trip!

Kathy
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM

The Acanthus is located close to the Sendlinger Tor U-Bahn stop which is the next stop on Line U-1 and Line U-2 from the main RR station.

Here's a combo U/S-Bahn map:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich...ubahn_map.html
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks Dukey, those translations sound funny, but they are correct nevertheless
http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich...lish_small.jpg
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! LOL I will indeed bring my snow boots--in fact I always wear them this time of year. In Munich I love the snow in fact!

Now, another question--if I buy an S-Bahn ticket can I tranfer to the U-Bahn or do I have to buy another ticket? (I know to get it stamped upon entering the system).

Thanks again
Jennifer
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM

Munich public transport tickets are valid on S-Bahn, U-Bahn and also on the buses.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:31 PM

,trams, RB and RE-trains.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM

>if I buy an S-Bahn ticket can I tranfer to the U-Bahn

There is no "S-Bahn ticket", you just buy a ticket for Munich's transit system and can use whatever is needed to reach your destination.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

TAltamiro, thanks for the clarification about the ticket..it has been three years since I took the S-Bahn to Munich from the airport--some things one forgets.