Munich area castle visit

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich area castle visit

We will be staying in Munich, carless, and are considering a visit to some castles. I am asking for advice at to whether this plan is too ambitious for one day.

We will buy a Bayern ticket to get from Munich to the village. Validity hours start at 0900 weekdays, and anytime weekends or holidays. I am thinking a weekday may be less crowded, but the weekend gives us more time.

We want to see Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau Castle. They share a ticket office, but it appears to me that we have to get a ticket for each castle, rather than a combined ticket. Is this correct?

After seeing the castles, we want to ride the Tegelberg Mountain cable car for another view. I understand this to be a five-minute bus ride from Hohenschwangau; does the Bayern ticket include this, or is it priced separately?

After riding the cable car, we want to ride the summer luge run, then return to Munich.

I think a lot will depend on how big the crowds are, but I'm hoping that we can fit all this into one day.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM

Are you wiling to give up that cheaper railroad ticket so you can get down there SOONER?

Right now there are at least THREE timings which leave Munich BEFORE 0900. The trip is going to take about two hours EACH way.

IMO, if you want to really pack it in you can DO it (and don't be deterred by the people here who are going to whine about the "not seeing things in depth" stuff...inside Neuschwanstein???? I WISH the inside were nearly as dramatic as the exterior...)

And when you GET to Fuessen don't fool around with a bus..consider taking a TAXI....packing things in sometimes costs a little more but it is worth it and have a great trip, too.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM

What Dukey said. The earlier the better. It's very crowded. I want once years ago during October, and it was better then, but the last time I went it was jammed.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 10:02 AM

Hi clevelandbrown,

You just buy a ticket from München to the first stop after 09.00, then the Bayern ticket becomes effective. Buy both at the same time.

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Are there any good guided tours to the castle and also to Satzburg area ? We are planning a trip to Munich unfortunately with just one full day and two halves. We have two teenaged sons. Any ideas anyone ??????
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 11:41 AM

In any case book your Neuschwanstein entry ticket online or face literally hours in line without reservations.

And it is quite a hike up to the castle entry from the place where buses/taxis let you off - you can take a horse-drawn cart and get there quicker.

Hardly anyone bothers to go to the authentically old medieval castle Hohenschwangau even though it is a really a neat castle IMO so you can just show up there - after you finish Mad Ludwig's much more famous Neuschwanstein, an Ersatz medieval castle.

nishilal - with the Bavarian Pass where your whole family can travel there and back for about 30-40 euro total it is easy to do on your own - hop a taxi at the Fuessen station and do the horse carts - have a reserved time and you will get a guided tour of the castle.

One imposing sight in Fuessen itself, which most tourists trek thru non-stop to reach the castles, a few miles out of town, is a roaring cascade in the river as it gorges thru town - rather awesome and walking paths go right by it
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

For 2, round trip train/bus to the ticket office is 100 Euro anytime vs. 28 Euro with the Bayern ticket (30 Euro if I can't figure out how to use the machine). That's a big difference. In fact, since we'll be there two weeks, we might break it into two trips.

We'll also be visiting Salzberg, again with the Bayern ticket, but I think we may do that on a weekend.

Incidentally, they have an ISAR card for 12.10 good for a calendar week of local transportation (we are staying in the suburbs), and a system-wide partner ticket good for getting to the airport (identical to the Airport/city ticket which is only sold at the airport).

I'll be certain to buy my castle tickets online, as soon as we pick a day.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM

I agree with Dukey regarding arrival by train in Fuessen. I grabbed a taxi and beat the train crowd to the ticket office where I picked up my prepaid online ticket.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM

Hohenschwangau castle is actually less than 50 years older than Neuschwanstein--definitely not medieval. Built by Ludwig II's dad. It was built on the site of a much older castle called Schwanstein.

And I'm one who really enjoyed the interior of Neuschwanstein castle, and wish I'd had more time inside--certainly much different from the usual medieval castle interior (of which I've seen dozens that mostly look pretty much the same after a while).