Munich - area around the main railway station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering what the story is with the neighborhood around the main railway station in Munich. I am looking at hotels in Munich and reading trip advisor, it seems that quite a few people mention that neighborhood as seedy while others say it is fine - convinient, safe, etc.

So what is the deal? Are people overreacting or misinterperating the neighborhood or is is actually shady?

Thanks.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 12:23 PM

shady but safe i'd say - a bit tawdry because of the sex shops but i've never felt unsafe there, or anywhere in Germany for that matter. There are a gaggle of upscale and lower scale hotels in the area - mainly to the south of the station. If going by train it's so convenient. That's my take on it we'll see what folks perhaps more familiar with the area have to say.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 01:04 PM

I did a lot of research on the area around Munich Hauptbahnhof and it seems fine to me. A lot of posters here recommend the Le Meridien hotel and there are some older posts that discuss the area around the train station.

I will be staying at the Le Meridien in February. If your trip is after that, I will be able to give you first hand knowledge of the area.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM
aggiemom

My mom and I stayed at Le Meridien in May 2005 and we felt very safe. It is not a tawdry area at all. We found it convenient for walking to shopping and food. I would not hesitate staying in that area. The Dorint Sofitel (also a 4-5 star) is next to the main station, too.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I've stayed there--as a single female traveler, even--and found it to be safe.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I've just seen a report on organized crime in the area. Beggars from maily Slovakia and Romania make about 150€/day but have to give most of it to the mafia.
There is really no need to worry. Prostitution is illegal, police are always there and surveillance cameras are installed. It's perfectly safe. A famous fashion designer has met his (iraqi) murderer there last summer, and took hin to his villa. But this is basically been all major crime which has happened there this year.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM

it's seedy and dumpy but this is by munich standards....meaning it is actually cleaner and safer than nicer neighbourhoods in other cities. most of the hotels here are of the budget variety (except for the strangely situated le meridien). lots of sex shops with kino kabines. it is not the preferred place to stay but this makes it cheaper and it is convenient to the train and city centre. i lived in munich for a couple of years and never felt unsafe in this area.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've stayed near the station and directly across the street from the station, both alone and with family and never had a problem, never felt unsafe. We are going back this summer and will stay somewhere a little more upscale than last time, so I did have a question -- when you say "south" of the station which direction is that as you head out of the station? I don't think in terms of directions (NSEW) after getting off a train (I get all turned around). Would it be heading out and to the left or heading out and to the right?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM

The station quite obviously has three exits. If you're thinking of the front exit, opposite of Hertie (cross the street to your left) and the (former) Main Post Office (an Internet Café now) then south is to your right, down Schillerstr/ Bayerstr ("Shilicon Valley&quot with all the Computer Shops and a few sex shops.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Logos, that's what I was thinking! Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Most train stations attract an element and Munich is no different. There are very nice hotels in the reas and very not so nice ones as well.
Actually Munich is one of the cleaner nicer ones I've seen - and great food to boot!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM

How is the Hotel Monaco? It is in the area south of the train station. Anyone stay there that can comment?
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM

"Trip advisor" has 6 reviews on Hotel Monaco, and they were very mixed from 2 to 5, out of 5. It was also mentioned in Rick Steves Book. I have no personal experience yet but am thinking about staying there this coming spring.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM

The area around the station is seedy. Lots of sex shops, etc. We stayed in our hotel one night and left the next day for the Hilton on the outskirts of the city which was much nicer.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I stayed at Hotel Mark which is about 1.5 blocks from the train station, and walked everywhere on foot and felt completely safe. I would not use the term "seedy"--- in fact, I would recommend it if you are looking for nice, 3 star type "budget" accomodations.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM
MaureenB

Have you tried the Hotel Uhland? You will find rave reviews of it on this forum, and it's about a ten minute walk from the train station. We are a family of four, and we stayed there in June 2004. Loved it and the lovely tree-lined street it's on. It's a beautiful old mansion-type B&B hotel, with a nice breakfast room and breakfast included. Even free bikes to borrow, and restaurants within walking distance.
I agree the neighborhood between it and the train station may be a bit iffy, especially at night, but we walked it several times. I wouldn't do it as a woman alone, though, or send my teenagers to walk it alone either. It's just that there are people out at night who've been drinking, and sex shops in the vicinity, too.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM

We've stayed at the <i>Maritim</i>, a modern 4* a mere half-block from the station. We walked around the neighborhood at night without any qualms.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:06 PM

I second Hotel Uhland. This is their anniversary year, by the way. 25th, I think. We were not out late at night, but did not feel unsafe walking to dinner. There is a metro stop nearby, also. Great place to stay in Munich.
VEra
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:53 AM

We always stay right there in the Hotel Amba, literally, right across the street. The Uhland is over by the Oktoberfest grounds a little bit of a walk away(by some unsavory shops) but I had never considered the area anything but safe. We often take our daughter to a park in that area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -