Munich airport to Hbf transfer question?

Old Nov 30th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Munich airport to Hbf transfer question?

Quick technical question: Family of four (two teens), no checked bags, US citizens arriving via London, arriving Monday December 23 at 10am. How much time will it take to get to the central train station from airport, generally. Can take any mode of transportation. Wondering how much time to allot to make train reservation.

Thank you.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Matttl,

I would estimate maybe 20-30 minutes to get from the plane to the SBahn tracks at the airport, and it takes about 45 minutes to get from there to the main station. So I would say you could most probably make a reservation for 12.00. Unless your flight is late, or there is a line at immigration.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 12:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:

I think I may have misunderstood you.

" Wondering how much time to allot to make train reservation."

Do you mean you're going to take a train from München Hbf to another city immediately after you arrive? Where are you going?

"So I would say you could most probably make a reservation for 12.00."

You can't make a reservation for the S-Bahn(suburban rail) trains from the airport. It is city transport with a frequent schedule, think like New York subway without the rats.

Download the MVV-App(MVV=Munich Transport and Tariff Associaton) to your smartphone and book your ticket in 5 minutes.

https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/journ...app/index.html

But find out before the trip which type of ticket works best for you. If you just want to get to your hotel and walk in that area, a single ticket is enough. If you plan to use public transport on your arrival day more than once, it may be better to buy a day pass.

https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/ticke...ets/index.html

Last edited by BDKR; Dec 1st, 2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 02:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could also be helpful to know the final destination - IF OP needs to take a train from Munich central to elsewhere.
Many destinations like Füssen, Oberammergau or Garmisch are served by regional trains only, or you have the option to take a regional train rather than to commit on a long-distance train, e.g. for Salzburg.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 03:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BDKR,

I meant they could make a reservation for their departure train from Munich main station at 12.00. I had already mentioned the Sbahn as separate from the train they take at 12.00.

I do know what the Sbahn is, as I live in Garmisch and use it frequently...

s
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. We are taking a train from Munich Hbf to Heidelberg as soon as we can. Just looking to reserve the tickets early and wondering how much to time give ourselves to clear airport and get to train station after flight.
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd aim for the EC 128(Eurocity train from Graz to Frankfurt) which is a direct train to Heidelberg and departs München Hbf at 11:47.

With a bit of luck on your side(having only hand luggage is your advantage) you can comfortable catch this train. 2nd class Super Sparpreis(no changes, no cancellation) tickets for this train sell for 60€ in the moment, but I'd add another 20€ on top of that and book a Flexpreis ticket which allows you to take any train on that day, so in the worst case that you miss your train you can just hop on the next one. Just make sure to add a seat reservation for only 5€, because just before Christmas will be very busy.