Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich airport-- guidance on short flight connection Luftansa

Jan 17th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

I'm planning an itinerary whereby one of the parties is flying from within Europe on Luftansa from Luxembourg with only 40 minutes connection time to the next flight to Split, Croatia. As I have never traveled through the Munich airport, it just does not seem realistic. This is also for an older person who is fit, but this could cause stress. I don't know how large the Munich airport is, and also how Luftansa operates in terms of delaying departure for one person coming from a tight connection?

Any guidance would be appreciated!
Jan 17th, 2014, 10:58 AM

Munich? No problem. Just don't dilly dally or stop at the restroom.

If the flight from Luxembourg is late then they will either rush you to your plane or put you on the next flight.

There's no need to worry.
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM

It has been a while since I was there but at the time it seemed crisply new and was certainly competent
and efficient, the exact opposite of Heathrow, Paris, or Frankfurt.

They should not sell you a ticket if you can't reasonably make the connection, though this does not mean one can dawdle.

My flights, to Zagreb and Venice, IiRC, were on smallish regional aircraft which arrived and departed from hard stands on the field rather than through jetways. We were picked up and/ or delivered by a bus to/from he terminal.
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:22 AM

What time of year are you flying...weather could be a factor. I would also look at the airport layout and determine how far the gates or terminals are from each other. Also...try to get him/her a seat near the front of the plane so there is less lag time just getting off of the first flight. I usually am not comfortable with less than an hour between flights personally.
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Be sure to purchase the ticket as one itinerary.
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

The only problem is that the connection flight appears to be the only remaining direct flight from Munich to Split, so really I am trying to understand how attainable it is based upon the airport itself. Is it easy and quick to get from gate to gate?

The alternative of her missing the flight is that she will have two flights ahead of her, getting into Split at midnight. Just want to be mindful that she is older and less resilient to these kind of stresses while traveling alone.
Jan 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses thus far. And yes, this would be purchased as one itinerary.
Jan 17th, 2014, 06:02 PM

Almost always,official airport sites help answer questions about connectons. In this case look at http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/index.jsp It will suggest the terminal gates you might need for your connection. Also worthwhile is http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/index.jsp a big schematic map of the two terminals, which you can see are adjacent to each other. You can print it out to help navigate. Be sure, however, to check the Departure displays in the terminal in case the gate for your next flight has been changed.