Reload this Page >

Munich Accmodation - suggestions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 03:23 PM
Amanda

Hi, <BR> <BR>Everything in Munich seems to be either booked up or expensive during October - we will be arriving just after Oktoberfest. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any suggestions on any outskirt towns from which we can still travel to Munich for a day? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 07:32 AM
Hans

Trythe Hotel Splendid--it's right in the middle of town and is usually about $100.00/night and it is really nice--just stayed there two weeks ago. You can find out more about the hotel and make reservations through SRS World Hotels--their web page is www.srs-worldhotels.com. We stayed at several of their properties on our most recent trip ranging from their deluxe collection to their comfort collection (the Splendid is in their comfort collection) and could not have been happier. Good luck!

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 08:04 AM
Maira

Try the Hotel Wallis http://www.bookings.org/de/hotels/wallis <BR>Good breakfast, walking distance to Marienplatz, reasonably priced, park garage next door, right across the street from the Opera House. It is a reasonable alternative and I found it to be quiet, clean and very helpful staff.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 10:28 AM
Michael

Try www.munich-tourist.de The site lists numerous hotels and pensions that you can contact. You can also find alot of hotels at www.deutschland-hotel.de <BR> <BR>Good Luck!

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Ismael Libanio

In Munich, "Europäischer Hof" (Bayerstrasse, 31 - phone (0 89) 55 15 10 and fax (0 89) 5 51 51-222 - near the Main Station. <BR>In Partenkirchen, the marvelous and well located "Hotel Panorama". Both have websites.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 04:22 PM
wes fowler

Amanda, <BR>Let's see if this information helps you! I do hope you've acquired a Bavarian map or you'll never be able to figure out where the towns and areas are that I'll be recommending. <BR> <BR>But first: Reservations can be made for any hotel, inn or pension in Germany by contacting ADZ (Allgemeine Deusche Zimmerreservierung). The telephone number is 0 69/ 74 07 67; FAX is 0 69/ 75 10 56. English is spoken. You may have to give a deposit. They usually ask for a couple of weeks advance notice of intended dates of stay. <BR> <BR>Hotel (not inn or pension) reservations can also be made through HRS Hotel Reservation Service. Telephone 02 21/ 2 07 70; FAX: 02 21/ 2 07 76 66. Immediate reservations. English spoken. <BR> <BR>Bavarian gasthauses are all very similar. The similarities include immaculate premises, sumptuous breakfasts of cold meats, cheeses, fruit, breads and coffee. You'll usually find a small restaurant on the premises that is populated by locals. Also similar is the extremely modest cost of such accommodations. <BR> <BR>It's difficult not knowing whether you will be traveling by car, car and train or train exclusively. I'll list accommodations that are in towns with a railroad station or bus to a station and service on to Munich. Most are within an hour's ride (by car or train) to Munich, considerably less to all of the major attractions in Bavaria. <BR> <BR>Let's start with the Hohenfurch, just north of Schongau on the Romantic Strasse. (It's southwest of Munich.) I'd recommend the Schonach-Hof owned by the family Haslach. It's at Kapellenstrasse 22, D-8938 Hohenfurch. Telephone 08861/4108. It has a small restaurant serving excellent local cuisine and 9 double rooms. You'd have to bus approximately 4km to the train station in Schongau to get to Munich, unless you have a car. <BR> <BR>In Schongau, consider the Alte Post Hotel with its 60 rooms, café, restaurant and in-house bakery. It's owned by the family Lutzenberger and is located at Marienplatz 19, 8920 Schongau; Tel 08861/8058. Schongau still has part of its 700 year old ramparts from the days when it was an enclosed town. You can walk them for an interesting journey back in time. <BR> <BR>Schongau has a train station and a rail line connecting at Herrsching to Munich. Late at night, however, the train goes no further from Munich than Herrsching and you must take a connecting bus (included in the train ticket) to return to Schongau. <BR> <BR>Closer to Munich are a number of inns that may be available. Their proximity to the city suggests that they may be filled due to Oktoberfest. Nevertheless, here they are: <BR> <BR>Hotel Seeblick owned by the family Sailer u. Kuhl. It's in Bernried, which is about 25 miles south west of Munich on the southwestern shore of the Starnberger See. It has 84 double rooms with bath. Tel: 08158/2051-55; FAX: 08158/3056. It has a train station. <BR> <BR>Hotel-Gasthof Zur Quelle owned by the family Metz-Wenneis is in Seeshaupt at Hauptstrasse 12 ½. Tel: 08801/1041 or 1042. Seeshaupt is at the southern end of the Starnberger See about 3 miles south of Bernried. The hotel has 12 double rooms with bath. <BR> <BR>One final bit of advice. Almost every village in Bavaria has its own local tourist office. Many of these tourist offices also serve as bed and breakfasts. If all else fails, you might want to contact some of the following village tourist offices for information about accommodations, public transportation or local events and festivals. They are the resources I rely upon heavily, despite my lack of knowledge of the German language. It's through one of them that I received a hand-written rate schedule from the lovely gasthaus in Hohenfurch! <BR> <BR>Village of Antdorf (south of Starnberger See): Gemeindeverwaltung, D-8121 Antdorf Tel: 08856/3822 <BR> <BR>Village of Bernried: (On southwestern shore of Starnberger See) Gemeindeverwaltung, D-8139 Bernried: Tel: 081 58/6026 <BR> <BR>Town of Schongau: (On Romantik Strasse,[Route 17] southwest of Munich). Verkehrsverein Schongau Tel: 08861/72 16/7 1444 <BR> <BR>Village of Rottenbuch: (south of Schongau). Fremdenverkehrsburo Rottenbuch. Tel: 08867/1464 <BR> <BR>Town of Starnberg (on northern shore of Starnberger See) Fremdenverkehrsverband Starnberger Funfseenland Tel: 08151/13274 <BR> <BR>Town of Herrsching (midway between Ammersee and Starnberger See) Tel: 08151/13274 <BR> <BR>Hope this helps! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 06:47 PM
TiGuy

Stayed at 2 different places in Munich. My favorite was the Hotel Haberstock, which is directly across the street from the Hauptbahnhof. That is why it was my favorite, very convenient, plus is was clean and quiet in spite of its location, as for price in October, I have no idea. Good luck and have fun, Munich is great, can't wait to go back.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 04:52 AM
bo_jack

Landshut -- about 40 miles north of Munich, probably 30 from the airport -- was, for me and my wife, a very nice city close to Munich. Stayed there on a Saturday and Sunday nights before flying out on a Monday. Not much of a tourist city -- so you might be able to get rooms fairly readily -- there is good shopping, and enough interesting to do to keep one occupied for several days. We stayed at the Golden Sonne Hotel/Gasthouse -- not fancy, but in the heart of the city -- about $90 per room per night. When we go back into/out of Munich, we plan to visit Landshut again.

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 03:01 PM
Amanda

Wow.. thanks everyone. <BR> <BR>I'm still looking and this will definitely help. We've almost 1/2 decided that we might just wing it and see what we can get when we arrive in Munich. We'll be there just after Oktoberfest and are travelling by train. <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for all of your suggestions - will be printing them out shortly. Please keep them coming. <BR> <BR>Amanda.