Multiple cities in 2 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bf and I are planning a trip to Europe for 2 weeks in January. We want to visit 3 countries. We would like to fly to London. The other 2 cities are Paris and either Madrid or Barcelona.
We would like to take the train to travel from France to Spain.
We know for sure we want to fly into London and then take the train to Paris. Which city in Spain is closer to Paris? How long would it take with train? What are some recommendations?
Also, any suggestions on what areas to look for hotels?
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 07:37 PM

Train schedules are at www.voyages-sncf.com. Those are long train trips, and there isn't much to see in winter (barren landscapes, short daylight hours). For these reasons, and quite likely also for price reasons, look to flying - www.skyscanner.com and www.whichbudget.com are good starting points. Read the fine print about luggage allowances.

For night trains that might be available and save you a night in a hotel and cut down on time wasted, look at www.seat61.com.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 08:04 PM

Please get a map of Europe so you can figure out elemental things like which city in Spain is closest to Paris.

Train schedules for London to Paris are on www.eurostar.com. Train schedules for France are on www.voyages-sncf.com.

No one can help with hotel recommendations unless you offer up your budget, preferably in euros.
Old Oct 25th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. budget for hotel is around $250/night.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 07:39 AM

why go from Paris to Spain directly in one fell swoop - why not break up the journey in say beautiful Provence - the Avignon/Arles area - the classic heart of tourist Provence - two old neat cities with lots of things nearby - then go onto Barcelona - which most seems to prefer over Madrid - then if you want take the new high-speed train to Madrid and fly home from there.

For London to Paris Eurostar trains go to www.eurostar.com - booking really early - months early can save a ton of money but those seats are sold in limited numbers so book early.

There are overnight trains from Paris (Austerlitz station) to both Madrid and Barcelona - in daytime you'll spend most of the day on the train if you go straight thru.

For lots of great info on European trains check out these superb IMO sites - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

For Paris to Spain night trains check www.elipsos.com - again early booking can save tons of money over full fare.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Which city in Spain is closer to Paris?>

by day train Barcelona thanks to the new high-speed Trans-Pyrenees rail line with a new tunnel under the Pyrenees at the French-Spanish border. In day time Madrid is a lot lot longer and no direct trains like there are to Barcelona (or will be starting this winter I understand).
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:15 AM

I think in Jan you will want to stay focused on the cities - the countryside will be grey, brown and crunchy - not attractive at all - and daylight hours are short.

It would make most sense to fly to London, take Eurostar to paris, fly to either Barcelona or Madrid and from there back to the US.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 01:22 PM

ah yes January - Barcelona I suspect will be warmer then than Madrid - on a high-up plateau away from warming waters - not sure but would think so - anyway I consider Barcelona a far far nicer city for the average tourist than Madrid - you cannot no longer watch Bullfights in Barcelona however as the Catalonian people decided to make them illegal in Catalonia, which is quite different from Castillian Spain - the language is different - and culture as well.
Old Oct 27th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Great information.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM

If going to Barcelona or Madrid be cognizant that these are two of the most crime-ridden places in Europe if not the most - street crime that is against tourists - there have been several threads on Fodor's discussing the situation - but if you know it is a real problem and take proper precaustions - don't wear the family jewels around and carrying a wallet in a back pocket is screaming out 'pickpocket me' - then with common sense and being wary of anyone coming up to you then the chances of being victimized are much less - and not everyone gets victimized buy naive tourists are more likely to be.