Muiderslot - getting there on train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to meet Dutch friends somewhere near Muiderslot on Sept. 10. I have read something about taking a #136 bus from Amstel, but I would prefer to go by train on the theory that it would be easier for them to find out the arrival time if the train is late. (Unfortunately, they don't have a cell phone, so once they leave home, I won't be able to contact them.)

I went to ns.nl for train schedules to Arnemuiden and the site doesn't seem to be working the way it did last year. Last year I could find a list of schedules for the morning or afternoon, but now it appears that I have to enter a time and I only get a train nearest to my specified time. Am I missing something here - have I forgotten how to use the site? I'd like to e-mail them with a choice of arrival times so they can let me know what suits them best.

Can anyone suggest ways to get to Muiderslot and a meeting location? I'm not sure where the castle is with relation to the station, where the bus drops off, etc. Since I'm spending a couple of days with them, I'll have a small bag and would like to leave it in their car before touring the castle.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:59 AM

according to www.bahn.de site there are hourly connections to Arnemuiden from Amsterdam - same times every hour throughout the day, perhaps different on Sun - i'd go to the German rail site (www.bahn.de) for these schedules or any schedule in Europe. An easy way to reach the English language schedule page on the bahn site is to go to the home page of www.budgeteuropetravel.com and on it click on the link All european Railway Schedules - and up pops the English schedule page - the home page referenced also gives several tips on how to use the bahn.de site.

Station/Stop Date Time Platform Products Comments
Amsterdam Centraal Sa, 30.09.06 dep 09:23 14a IC 632 InterCity
Number of bicycles conveyed limited
Roosendaal Sa, 30.09.06 arr 11:01 4b
Roosendaal Sa, 30.09.06 dep 11:11 4a 14637 Regionalzug
Number of bicycles conveyed limited
Arnemuiden Sa, 30.09.06 arr 11:57 2
Duration: 2:34; runs daily, not 3., 10. Sep
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Muiderslot is NOT in Arnemuiden!!!!!!
Muiderslot is just outside of Amsterdam, so taking the bus 101, or 152 from Amsterdam Amstelstation is one of the best option.Traveltime abt. 15 minutes...
Or take the train to Weesp, then busnr 110, every 30 min.

fyi..Arnemuiden is way down south in Zeeland, close to Belgium!!).

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ida101. Arnemuiden is what came up when I tried to use the ns.nl site to find the nearest station, so I assumed that was the name of a small town near A-dam. Wonder what I did wrong. I suppose the best thing to do is settle on a meeting place and an approximate time and just hope we will meet up sooner or later.

Is the castle a long walk from wherever the bus stops? I'd have to calculate that as well as however much time it would take me to get to Amstelstation, then to the castle by bus. I do wish they had a cell phone. I suppose if we don't connect, they might be able to find a pay phone and call my cell.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 03:16 AM

The bus from Amstelstion takes abt. 15 minutes and the walk cannot be any longer. I donot remember exatly as we travelled by car. But in NL nothing is far away...
This link gives a map of the castle and the gardens.
http://www.muiderslot.nl/informatie.asp?ID=3
The entrance is at the left, if you go on it with your mouse you will find "kassa". Best place to meet around there I think.