Mucha's Slav Epic

Search

Mucha's Slav Epic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mucha's Slav Epic

Has anyone ever been to see Mucha's Slav Epic in Moravsky Krumlov, Czech Republic? Was it worth the effort? I have wanted to see it (them?) ever since I heard about it, but it is in this little place south of Brno and I haven't gone there yet. Thinking of doing it on our September trip to Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Poland. Any comments?

It looks like you can take a train or a bus from Brno to Moravsky Krumlov, but the bus goes right in to town and the train station is a ways out. Is this correct?
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM

I wish I had known about this when I was in the Brno area. I remember it being mentioned during the film at the Mucha Museum in Prague but there is so much going on while on vacation I guess I forgot about it and didn't know where it was located. It looks amazing. You'll have to go see it and report back!

Are you getting a car for your trip? I think it would be worthwhile as there are many small towns in the Czech Republic that are more easily accessible with a car rather than public transportation.

I will comment that Brno was nothing special and I feel I wasted my day there rather than seeing something else.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

The one thing we never do in Europe is drive. Trains and busses are so generally available to pretty much everywhere and no one has to keep his or her eyes on the road this way. I realize that we give up some spontaneity, but it is worth it to us.

I wish you could have seen the Slav Epic. My understanding is that it is 20 huge canvases showing the history of the Slavic peoples. It was given to the city of Prague 70 years ago (I think) and they have never moved it to Prague, not apparently being willing to build a building big enough to house it.

Now the Japanese are interested in flying the canvases all the way to Japan to be on exhibit and the Czechs aren't too keen on that. I just hope they don't move them before I get there in September. Considering the fact that they haven't moved in 70 years I feel relatively safe on this!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Just back from Europe and we did go to Moravsky Krumlov. Ended up taking the train (less than an hour from Brno), which does stop outside of the town, but is met by busses which take you right in to the main square.

The paintings are absolutely fabulous and entirely worth the effort to get there. The sheer size of the canvases and the amount of work (18 years of his life) is incredible.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I'm so glad you got to see the Slav Epic. I feel I need to schedule another trip to the Czech Republic to see all the things I missed!

Hopefully you will be doing a trip report.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 02:05 AM

Thanks Kristinelaine. I have been interested in seeing the Slav Epic ever since I went to the Mucha museum in Prague many years ago. I've made periodic inquiries on this forum because at one time it was slated to go to Prague and I wanted to keep up on its whereabouts. We are now planning a trip in the Czech Republic countryside and it sounds like I may still be able to see it there. I appreciate your update.