Favorite places in Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Prague for the first time this coming spring. Never been there before, and though I have heard it is beautiful, I really don't know much about it. We found a great deal, so that's how we decided to go. Hoping some Fodorites can fill me in on favorite sights, restaurants, museums - anything you love about Prague. Also, some reassurance about getting around would help. I've travelled in Europe and Central America, but this will be my first time going somewhere where I don't speak the language at all or have a friend there who does. Any tips?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM
rex

Lots of good info www,jasoncholt.com - - one of those labor of love websites that has mor recommendations than you can absorb.

Ad we were very pleased with booking our accommodations through www.athos.cz (we chose two apartments for our family of five at Zatec). You can even "chat" realtime with an agent there through ICQ.

Mucha Museum is a must-see.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the website and especially the tip on the Mucha museum! I looked over the website and also an old guidebook I had, and neither of them mentioned the Mucha museum. He is one of our favorite artists, and I would never have known! We have basically 5 1/2 days there. I am curious about taking a side trip to Cesky Krumlov. Have you been? Is it worth it? Is it relatively easy by train? We won't have a car.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Amelie, I'm afraid I can't respond to your question that well as it is too all-encompassing for me. I just have trouble answering qustions like that, although others might. I can tell you some of my favorite things are the wonderful museums, the Loretto chapel, the National Theatre or one of the wonderful opera houses for a performance, the beautiful architecture, and just walking around Old Town and Mala Strana. I think the things you'll read about in a good guidebook will cover most of the options.

However, the Mucha museum is wellknown in Prague and has been opened for quite a few years at this point (about six). It sounds like you are definitely going to Prague but are only going to use a very old guidebook. Prague has changed a lot, and even more than other cities, I would not recommend that. Buy a new one that is good, it's worth the $10-15 investment--that is my best tip to you. A good one should mention day trips and logistics on that, also. I used Frommers Prague/Best of Bohemia or something guidebook and it was quite good.

Cesky Krumlov in particular, including as a day trip, has been discussed in numerous threads on here which should be quite easy to find if you search on word "krumlov" within Czech country in right box.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:06 AM

Cesky Krumlov is definitely worth the trip. It is a little difficult to get there, due to the train station at Cesky Krumlov not being very near the old town. We took a train to Cesky Budjevice (sp?) and then a bus the rest of the way. There are day trip tours that take you right there. They probably will cost more than public transportation, but not terribly much, I would guess.

The Mucha Museum is really very nice.
If you like classical music, there are many opportunities to hear it in wonderful settings -- churches, palaces, concert halls, etc.

It won't be a problem to not speak Czech. No one will really expect you to. Especially if you stay in Prague. Of course, it is always nice to be able to say please and thank you in the language.

I'm sure you will love it there.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

What did people think of the Mozart museum? How about the Jewish quarter?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:11 PM

I went there alone 2 years ago and I don't speak a word of Czech. I had a fabulous time! Don't forget to check out the Prague Castle. If possible, take a walking tour with Martina Doskova (I forget her address but do a search on this board).

I didn't care for the Black Light Theatre, found it cheesy--your time is better spent taking in a concert.

The tours to Cesky Krumlov are not every day, so the next runner up is Karlovy Vary--just make sure the spa is open on the day you go. if you go to Karlovy Vary, be sure to have a flavored spa wafer (or two!). I kind of regretted not buying a box to take home. I know at the time it seemed like a touristy thing to do, but the wafers were not a bad deal.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:32 AM

I agree with all the earlier recommendations (castle, Loreto, Mucha Museum, etc.) and would like to add a couple of others. We enjoyed the Museum of Communism during our visit in March; one of the things I really liked about it is that it's open until 9:00 p.m. We also enjoyed visiting the Strahov Monastery Library and our visit to see the Infant of Prague.

Getting around in Central Prague (the Old Quarter, the Jewish Quarter, Mala Strana, and Hradcany) is very easy. You can easily walk most of it, and if you're tired and need to use public transportation, you only need to learn two or three subway stops and a couple of streetcar lines to get just about anywhere you need.

There have been many postings on this and other boards about visiting Cesky Krumlov. I think the bus offers the best cheap opportunity. You can see complete bus (and train) options at www.idos.cz ; the bus trips with no changes take around three hours and cost about five or six dollars each way, I think. As someone has pointed out earlier, the bus station in CK is much closer to the town center (about a five minute walk) than the train station is.

Terezin and it's concentration camp memorial is about an hour away. I don't know what public transportation options there are for this trip; we hired a driver and guide that day.

You might look into hiring a guide for a walking tour on one of your days in Prague. We used Sarka (www.prague-guide.info) on our visit in March, and we have used Wittmann Tours (www.wittmann-tours.com) for walks in the Jewish Quarter on previous visits. Many other guides have been recommended on this and other forums.

Although I've been to lazy to post our most recent visit to Prague on our web site, you can see our earlier trips at www.cp-tel.net/war/ta/pra and
www.cp-tel.net/war/ta/ee98

Enjoy Prague; it's a great place to visit.

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Amelie:

The Jewish Quarter is a must see. The Mozart Museum (I'm assuming you mean Bertramka) is a little out of the way. With a good map and the right tram line it is very reachable. If you are a big Mozart fan, you should do it; if not, then I don't think it would be so high on my list.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 06:09 AM

My favorite places in Prague happen to be the most touristy - the Charles Bridge and Old Town Square. They may be touristy but they are very beautiful and Charles Bridge especially has a really nice lively atmosphere - day and night. I also went there very early in the morning a few times (before 7am) and it's totally different and even more beautiful. There are towers at both ends of the bridge that you can climb for great views (if you want to see my photos of prague go to www.pbase.com/annforcier). Also the tower in Old Town Square has great views.

How long are you going to be there? As mentioned before you can walk just about everywhere and I recommend a day (or at least morning or afternoon) dedicated to each area - Mala Strana, Stare Mesto, Nove Mesto, the castle - to just wander and explore.

I kind of have to disagree with the others about the Mucha museum. I was sort of disappointed. It's very small, maybe I was just expecting more, and some of his works that I really wanted to see are not there. But if you have time why not.

I went to Cesky Krumlov and it's a very nice town worth visiting. I took a tour because of the difficulty I had read about getting there on public transportation. I think if I had to do it over I'd be braver and do it on my own. The tours dodn't give you much time on your own and the one I went on at least included lunch which was pretty boring - I'd have rather just grabbed my own lunch and had more time to explore. And while I did enjoy the town, it is a good 3 hours from Prague so you are spending 6 hours that day on a bus. If you don't have at least 3-4 full days in Prague itself I wouldn't bother.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:17 AM

I found more English speakers in Prague than I did on a recent trip from Midway airport to the center of Chicago on the El.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Prague is fab! I always buy one of the Eye Witness travel guides from a bookstore as they have great pics, etc. of the rec sites, etc.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:32 AM

the views from Letna park over the seven bridges spanning the Vltava is one of my best memories of Prague.

restaurants:
David's
http://www.restaurant-david.cz

Francouzska Restaurant in the Municipal House:
http://www.frenchrest.obecnidum.cz/

Take a tour of the Municipal House - an incredible secession / art nouveau building:
http://www.obecni-dum.cz
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:39 AM

You'll have very little, if any, trouble getting around without speaking the language, especially on the Metro and trams, both of which are efficient and go to, or very near, all the places you are likely to want to visit.

The Old Town Square will probably be thronged with visitors, and for good reason. The Astrological Clock draws crowds about every hour of the waking day and into the evening.

If you are at all in baroque and gold leaf adornment, the church interiors, in particular, are a real treat. The Loretto, mentioned above, which is not too far from the Castle complex, has a wonderful vault room filled with priceless, as in jewel encrusted, religious objects.

As someone said, you can easily walk around the Old Town area and in the various neighborhoods. There are also plenty of half-day city tours available if that suits you.

If you are going to use the public transport system a great deal I would at least CONSIDER purchase of the so-called "Prague Welcome Card" which includes transport and admission to some of the major sites such as the Castle complex...but be aware that it may not be economical for you unless you use it a lot...but makes getting on and off the Metro and trams easier for some.

Czech glass, if you like it, is sold everywhere, as are garnets. And those outdoor, canvas-covered restaurants in Old Town Square are usually full of locals...if nothing else, watch for the "atrists" with scissors who are busy cutting out the diners' silhouettes and then offering them for sale.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Marktynernyc- The link
http://www.frenchrest.obecnidum.cz/ didnt seem to work ???
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM

h2babe:

go to this page:
http://www.obecni-dum.cz/e_pruvodce.htm

on the right hand side of the page - click on french restaurant, which should bring bring you to this page:

http://www.frenchrest.obecnidum.cz/

hope this helps....
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 10:31 AM

You'll have no problem using English. I'd have to second the vote for the Charles Bridge. Looking across it is like looking into a storybook world.
We ate at a great restaurant called Square. This was in Aug 03, but I bet it's still in business.
We stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental, & I must say, the beds and down comforters were the most comfortable on which I've ever slept. I still dream about that bed....
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all so much for your posts! I picked up the Eye Witness guide this weekend and am having a great time going through it. We'll be in town for 4 full days. I am starting to wonder if Karlovy Vary might be a more manageable day trip. For those of you who have visited both, given the time we have, and since this is our first trip to Prague, would you go the extra length to Cesky Krumlov, or do Karlovy Vary to save time and fit more of Prague in?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Hi
I took my first visit to Prague last March, we had four full days which included one day trip, and we didn't have nearly enough time. I'm hoping to go back soon. You mention you got a great deal for next spring?can you provide details and costs?

The Mucha museum is a treasure if you like his art. Good gift shop too.

There is a tram system in Prague that others have praised; we just ended up walking everywhere, though in hindsight a ride up the Castle hill would not have been amiss.

Prague is one of those cities that has something to see seemingly around every corner, because its historic center is so well preserved.

We spoke no Czech other than "good day", "please" and "thank you" and we got along fine.

My only criticism of Prague is toward its shop personnel, many seemed quite surly to me, odd in a town that counts so much on tourism. Those in question were not young, perhaps they haven't broken the habits set under USSR domination. It's just my observation, maybe it was just luck of the draw. It certainly had no impact on my trip, not even on my shopping, with one egregious exception.

I have a file on Prague; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

We booked the tour through Nordique. They are running a winter/early spring special. Customer service wasn't the best, but for the money, I bit my tongue.
http://www.nordiquetours.com/tz06.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -