Reload this Page >

Much to do in Sorrento ?

Search

Much to do in Sorrento ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:10 AM
dina

Much to do in Sorrento ?

I'll be staying in Sorrento for 7 nights (yes you may think its a bit too much but were using it as a base!) <BR> <BR>What is there to see and do in Sorrento and what sort of restaurants are there? <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Patrick

Many easy daytrips either by train or by boat. Capri, Positano, Amalfi, Naples, Pompeii, just to name a few. Although I'd really suggest trying to spend the night if you go to Capri to see the magic of the island without all the other daytrippers. There are lots of nice and very inexpensive restaurants many of them in gardens or under grape arbors if you are there in warm weather, plus a handful or really good ones. Sorrento is very much a "tourist" city so it is well equipped with tourist things.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:05 PM
the turnip

I must second Patrick's opinion. Sorrento is built for tourists and is very willing to help you find ways to spend your money and your time. The people were so friendly and we had a great time there. You must try the Limoncella! Not for everyone but we really enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>Cheers, the turnip

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:34 PM
adrienne

Hi Dina, <BR> <BR>Spent several days in Sorrento last April. We used it as a base for Capri, Pompeii, and the Amalfi coast. One day it rained quite heavily and we had lunch at a beautiful 4 star hotel – the Hotel Excelsior. There were few people in the dining room and we were treated wonderfully. They also have a terrace for drinks and an elevator on the terrace which goes down to the port. The dining room, which is lavishly decorated, overlooks the terrace and the port. It’s set back off the street on the port side of the main square and you enter under a wisteria bower and walk down a path through the gardens. Here’s the web site if you want to see what it looks like. <BR>http://www.small-hotel.com/excelsior/index.html. The next time I’m in Sorrento I’d love to stay there, budget permitting. <BR> <BR>We also ate twice at L’Antica Trattoria which has good food and offers an aperitif, small appetizer, and after dinner cookies and chocolates with their meals. They have a strolling mandolin player which was fun. There’s lots of good restaurants in Sorrento and lots of shops. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your stay there. Adrienne <BR> <BR>P. S. I second the Limoncello!! It was love at first sip. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:05 PM
dina

Thanks everyone. <BR> <BR>One more question: What were your most favorite restarant in Sorrento and why?

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:46 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Dina <BR>Has been many years since we used Sorrento, but as Patrick states it is <BR>an excellant base for Capri, Pompeii, <BR>Naples and the Amalfi. However here <BR>are a couple of ristorante suggestions. <BR>Ristorante of the Grand Hotel Cocumella, <BR>via Cocumella, 7, was part of a program <BR>yesterday on the World Class Crusine, <BR>also Antico Frantolo, via Cala, 5 localita/Casarlano was also mentioned. <BR>featured home made beer. <BR>EMILIA, via Marina Grande,62, family <BR>run fish specialities. <BR>O PARRUCCHIANO. Corso Italia, 72, <BR>Sorrento cruisine, opened 100 years ago. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il... <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:06 AM
dina

are the restaurants quite expensive? i.e the good ones? I like seafood - are these expensive? and for our trip to pompai - should we take a packed lunch ?