cell phone

Aug 4th, 1999, 09:52 AM
sheila

cell phone

We don't call the U.S. more than once a week when we travel to Europe, if that often. I've heard cell phones are the most convenient means of communication when traveling, although I seldom use mine on vacation and have never taken it abroad. Would a U.S. cell phone with AT&T service work from there to the the U.S.? Thanks. stw

Aug 4th, 1999, 10:08 AM
pam

Sheila,
My understanding is that there is a different cell system in Europe, so, No, I don't think your phone would work. You might be able to rent one though.

Aug 4th, 1999, 10:14 AM
Jo

Why don't you call your cellphone company? They'll be able to give you all the info. I have taken my UK cellphone all over Europe, South Africa and to New Zealand. I think the cellphones are becoming more and more international. Be warned, that international calls are very expensive. Also, you pay for incoming and outgoing calls (from the network supplier in US to the network supplier in Europe).

Aug 4th, 1999, 01:31 PM
Myriam

Pam is right. We indeed use a different cell system in Europe.
I don't know if it will be easy to rent a cellphone in Europe. I've never heard of it in Belgium at least.

Aug 4th, 1999, 01:55 PM
elvira

Do a search on the web under cell phone rental europe; there are U.S. companies that will rent to a compatible phone, number, etc. Don't use the wretched things myself, but I have friends who stop breathing if they don't have a phone in their purse or shirt pocket, and they have rented phones for overseas treks...

Aug 5th, 1999, 07:40 PM
Lori

When we traveled to Germany over spring break we rented a cell phone through AutoEurope. It was very simple, they fedexed the phone to us, with adapters,car jacks, etc. and then we fedexed it back after we returned. They were very helpful and friendly. I think it cost us about $135.00 (us) for 9 days of use, including shipping. I got started on their website and then used an 800 number to reserve the phone. Hope this helps. Lori
P. S. If you are going to be in Germany use the phone cards, very inexpensive and convenient. International phone booths are everywhere.

Aug 6th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Paul

Europe and the Middle East use a cellular system called "GSM". It operates on two frequencies: 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz, depending on which country you're in. The US cell phone system operates at 1900 Mhz, so US cell phones are useless in Europe, unless they are one of a few models with multiple frequencies.

I'm thinking about renting a cell phone for Europe this year, and have made a few inquiries. The best seems to be Omnipoint. For Italy, they quoted me $29/week or $49/month, with delivery to my house before I leave. I belive that their phone number is 1-800-OMNI-2-GO. They are on the web.

Aug 12th, 1999, 01:55 PM
sheila

Many thanks for all the information. Sheila

Oct 3rd, 2000, 08:32 AM
Ilene

You can rent a Motorola Tri-Band phone that works in the USA and in Europe, simply by switching the band. Call Record Phone International 732-617-2100.
Great rates and they fed-ex the phone to you before you leave.It's really simple.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 08:37 AM
Mike

Voicestream Wireless has the best rental rates for international cell phones. I just rented a Motorola Timeport for $49 for a whole month which included shipping of the phone. Their rates are also cheaper than the smaller rental outfits.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 08:52 AM
xxx

Does Voicestream have more than one rate? I'd give $49 an HOUR, if they rented me a phone and Jamie in a red convertible to go with it - - to show me how to use it!

"It'll be fun!"

Pure marketing genius.

Of course, maneuvering that big thing with the fins through those little streets in Italy - - now that would be a challenge.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:40 AM
Ann

Not all US cellphones are useless overseas. Nokia has a tri-band phone that will work in many countries. I just bought a Nokia phone that only works here, but thought the tri-band phone would be great for people who travel a lot for work.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 12:48 PM
Art

Has anyone bought a cell phone that they use both here and abroad? I've called a couple of the constant ads that I get in the mail for cell phones, but none of them have had multiband phones.

Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:33 PM
Tom

The cell phone I'd recommend is Nextel phone. It works almost anywhere in the U.S. and can be used in Europe. It's an ideal phone if one travels to Europe often. You don't have to do anything to activate when you get to Europe. It will automatically 'register' when you get there and even forward your calls (you need to turn it off if you don't want to receive calls) automaticaly. Check your local Nextel agent. Voicestream phones or even tri-band phones are okay if you want to just rent it for a short term.
Tom

Oct 3rd, 2000, 08:53 PM
Rex

There was a very brief discussion last week (got lost in the "forum unification" issue?) about buying a cell phone IN Europe - - just for use there.

I can assure you that there are cell phone stores on every corner in a lot of cities both big and small. The phones ARE cheap - - and they usually have big promotional posters about only so much a minute. It never occurred to me how do you buy those minutes...?

I always assumed that it would not make sense to buy a phone there because the cost of a calling plan would make the whole purchase ultimately impractical.

But there was a suggestion that there are chips or smart cards or something that work in these cheap cell phones in Europe that render the notion of a "calling plan" irrelevant. The implication was that you could buy this $25 (for example 50 DM) chip or card, use it in the phone, and when it was out of money, you buy another one. No "calling plan" whatsoever - - sounds great if it is true - - why don't we have this here in America?

But I never read any posting from anyone confirming this.

Sjoerd? other Europeans? Should this be re-started as a new thread - - to direct the question to this matter specifically?

Oct 4th, 2000, 12:16 AM
Sjoerd

Rex, you are right. "No calling plan" phones, as you call them, now have more than 50% of the market here in the Netherlands and I believe in many other European countries. There are promotions all the time: for instance: for 99 guilders (about 40 US$) you get the phone + 50 guilders in calls (you will be given a code, you call a number with your new phone, enter the code, and you have a 50 guilder call credit)
Calls are more expensive this way than by having a "calling plan/subscription", but for foreign tourists and people who receive more calls than that they call themselves these are great deals. Some of these phones work internationally in GSM countries (all of Europe, most of Asia and parts of Africa)

Oct 4th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Linda

I rented a cell phone when I traved to
Europe, from Record Phone Int. They had the best rates, and phone
was great. They FedX the phone to
me, before I left and pre-paid for return of phone. Give them a call
732-617-2100.

Oct 4th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Jim

They do have the no calling plan phones in the U.S.--prepaid phones have been around forever. You buy a card with $30 or $50 on it, and use it with your cellphone. Where have you been hiding?

Oct 9th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Rex

To the top - - for Marta.

And Jim, if these are common in the US, then I am a monkey's uncle.

Oct 26th, 2000, 07:46 AM
upsy daisy

For Irma!

Search this Thread