Mt. Pilatus vs. Mt Rigi Daytrip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Luzern from June 1 to June 4. I want to take a day trip to the top of Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi. I can't decide on which one though. From everyone's experience is one more scenic than the other? Would like to take a couple of easy to moderate hikes while at the summitt. Is Pilatus or Rigi better for these type hikes? I will have a swiss pass if that makes a difference. Any info. on which is considered more scenic, preferable hiking, things to do at the summitt or on the way, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM

You should hear from experts soon. We went to both 2 years ago. I think that the hiking trail down from Mt Rigi is more interesting.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM

The Pilatus is much higher than the Rigi. From both, the view is breathtaking. Pilatus offers more of an Alpine feeling. The cable car ride up the mountain is very scenic. The peak of the Pilatus is really steep. For hiking, the Rigi is probably the better option.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Rigi is not as rugged and dramatic as Pilatus, nor as high, but it offers lovely views and over 100 km of hiking trails, many of them through meadows and wildflowers, with views out over the lake. We like to overnight there upon arrival in Switzerland, and walk the Blumenweg (wildflower path) from Rigi Kaltbad.

Here are some hiking suggestions on Rigi:

http://www.rigi.ch/en/navpage.cfm?category=HikeRIGI

And a page with a map of the hiking trails (click on the map on the page to download, or th epdf link at the bottom to enlarge):

http://www.rigi.ch/en/navpage-Summer...igi-53525.html

You will see several trails leading right from the summit. You can hike from there to another area, and catch the train (to Vitznau) or cablecar (down to Weggis) from there.

Pilatus, by contrast, has a few rocky trails at the top---probably all with great views too, but limited in choice. Here is the list and map:

http://www.pilatus.ch/content-n85-sE.html