COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Mt. Pelion Peninsula and Sporades

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Theodora

Mt. Pelion Peninsula and Sporades

Anyone have any advice on interesting areas, hotels, and things to do in Mt. Pelion Peninsula.
Thank you

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Sue

The Pelion peninsula is a beautiful part of Greece. It is very green with apple orcards and a lot of streams and water falls. You can fill up bottles with water from the local fountains. We were there for only two days. We drove from Volos to St. Johns. The roads are very twisty and go up and up and then down and down. There are no guard rails and I found it more challenging then the Amalfi drive. The food in this region is delighfully spiced and very delicious. The beach at St. John's concisted of small white marble pebbles and the water was clear, clean, and a beautiful blue. We stayed at Captain George's hotel. I think that was the name. It was listed in a guide book. It was very nice and not expensive. There are walking trails in the hills with wonderful water falls to drink from. Some of the towns have beautiful town squares with huge plane trees in the center. I think there is ferry service to the peninsula from Volos, but I am not sure. There seems to be ferry service from the peninsula to the Sporade islands, which I have not been to. Please visit there, as it is very different from others parts of Greece. We loved this area and dream of returning.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Theodora

Thank you Sue. I'll do a search for that hotel. How did you find Volos? Were there any interesting museums or sites of note?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:30 AM
sue

HI,

We did not spend much time in Volos. We went to see a small town near there where my mother-in-law was born and used Volos as an overnight stop. The harbor was impressive. It was large and lined with travenas. I think there is a naval station there and I think there is a museum, but I really know very little about Volos.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Wanderer

Can anyone recommend where to stay on the Pelion Peninsula where we will find sandy beaches?

Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Sandra

We took the ferry from Volos to Skiathos and loved it! It is reputed to have the only sandy beaches in the area. We went to Koukounares Beach, with the Australian Pines. The litttle pine cones are a nuisance, but the beach is gorgeous. I can't remember the name of the hotel where we stayed, sorry.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Topper

ttt