Movie - The Illusionist

Sep 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Movie - The Illusionist

Has anyone seen this? My husband and I saw it yesterday and I've been trying to convince him that a cafe that's shown in one of the early scenes is actually in Prague (the movie is set in Vienna) - can't think of the name but it has unique ceramic wall decor. Can anyone confirm, or am I nutso?
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM

Can't confirm about the cafe, but we saw the premier at Sundance in January and did enjoy the film!
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:36 PM
yk

Yes, I've seen the movie. Can't confirm the cafe as I've never been to either Vienna or Prague, but I know the movie was shot on location in Prague instead of Vienna, so your guess is probably correct.
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
pat

Can you post this on the Movies, music and book forum? I did read that some of it was filmed in Prague and Cesky Krumlov.
Sep 21st, 2006, 07:55 PM

No, you are not daft, lennyba. That was the Cafe Imperial that you spotted in "The Illusionist." The cafe is indeed in Praha.

The cafe is famous for its bowl of stale donuts, which costs $60. You are allowed to throw the donuts at people if you wish.

Thingorjus' mother bought the bowl of donuts, once, in order to lob all the donuts at a woman sitting near her who was wearing cheap plastic sandals. You see, it is a family tradition to throw profiteroles at the poor and poorly dressed. No profiteroles in Praha meant Mrs. Thin had to resort to stale donuts.

Reflect your good taste in Tod's shiny patent-leather shoes.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

I have been to this cfae nad had vaery nice breakfast there.the place is amzing although a little run down now due to it's age but a really art deco place. Fantastic tiles, in the Cafe in the entrance to the hotel side. Not surwe if the hotel part is till open. I can imagine it was wondeful in it's hayday and full of society people. the Tbale and chairs are still old fashion wooden types like in the 20's and the waiters dress smartly with long black aprons. The give you a free donot with your coffee. Yes you can buy a large bowl of stale donut's cheaply to throw. They sound a bell when this happens to warn other customers, but I never saw this happen. I asked a couple of people about that an dthey said it did not really happen that often. There are photos on the wall of this event, but they seem to be grousps of young people maybe students. It is on Na Porici Street and really worth going for a coffee and a donut just to admire the tiling etc.
Sep 23rd, 2006, 08:55 AM

I found it I knew I once that the website book marked on my PC but is seems to have been deleted but here is is for you to see.

http://www.hotelimperial.cz/cafe/home.asp