mountain top restaurant

Search

mountain top restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mountain top restaurant

Can anyone please help me with details of a mountain top restaurant near the montreaux area. I had heard there is one in Gstaad or so and you have to take the cable car to reach there with wonderful views.
thanks
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:56 AM

JBTravel:

Are you looking for a particular Resturant? Every, I mean EVERY Alpine Mountain has Mountain Top Resturants!!

What time of year are you going? Some are run only in the summer and others are run only during ski season!

John

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I am going in september and I am looking in montreaux/gstaad area
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:00 AM

Hi JBTravel,

There are several mountain top restaurants a lot closer to Montreux than Gstaad. I think one you should consider is the Kuklos revolving restaurant on a peak near Leysin. Look at www.leysin.ch or www.teleleysin.ch (only in French I think) for more info. The train trip is about .44 minutes from Montreux to Leysin.

You may also want to look at Les Pleiades above Vevey, or Glion or Caux above Montrex.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to Gstaad! In fact, I'm planning to spend a week near there this January. I think it's a great area for views and hiking, etc. But if your only goal is to find a mountaintop restaurant, you may not want to invest the 1.20 minutes on a train to get there . . . ?

Have you looked at the Gstaad website for more info on this restaurant?

s
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Perhaps this site will help:

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/info.htm
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:24 AM

JBTravel, when we were in Gstaad this summer we ate at a restaurant at the top of the Wispile ski lift. It had a nice terrace with beautiful views of the mountains and trails in several directions. You can get directions from the Information Office in the center of Gstaad.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advices. I will check them!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 12:09 PM

JBTravel,

Near Montreux, the classic mountaintop vantage point is the Rochers-de-Naye. For some reason, I've never been, but I'm sure the views are great. It's reached by train from Montreux. Info at:
http://www.mob.ch/GPS/produits/naye1.htm?l=e

There's also the Glacier des Diablerets, which is a bit more difficult to reach, but VERY spectacular. You need to take a train, a bus and several cable cars to get there. Info at:
www.glacier3000.ch

The first cable car leaves from the top of the Col du Pillon (pass), and can be reached either via Gstaad (train to Gstaad, bus to col du Pillon) or Les Diablerets (train to Aigle, then Les Diablerets and bus to col du Pillon). Either way takes about 2 hours to the base cable car station - I would recommend going up via Gstaad and returning via Les Diablerets - or vice versa - for more variety. Schedules at:
www.rail.ch

Enter "Col du Pillon" as your destination.

Final note: these excursions are only worthwhile if the weather cooperates. Remember to take warm clothing, especially for the Glacier des Diablerets.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I did the Rochers de Naye tram last summer with my friend who lives in Montreux. You catch it at the regular Montreux train station, but a different ticket counter than normal trains. I think it was an hour or so up the mountain thru *incredibly* scenic countryside. It was fogged in the day we were there (which I guess is fairly common), so we really didn't have a view from the restaurant at the top. But it was still a very wonderful thing to do.