Mountain Pass

May 3rd, 1999, 11:03 AM
Susie

Mountain Pass

I am considering driving from Frankfurt, Germany, to Rome, Italy, around the 17th of June and then return to Frankfurt about the 20th of June. Are there any mountains in between the two cities that are considered dangerous? The other option is to fly roundtrip for about $270. American dollars. I will be traveling alone and would stop about half way. Any recommendations?????

May 3rd, 1999, 11:33 AM
wes fowler

Susie,
You might want to reconsider driving to Rome unless you're prepared to devote more time to your trip. It's over 1200kms (750 miles+/-) from Frankfurt, really too long and tiring a drive for one day even though you'd be traveling on autobahn or autostrada all the way. With the trip split over two days,it leaves little time to tour Rome, a day and a half at most. In addition, it's a bit intimidating to even think of driving in Rome with its traffic congestion and limited parking.

The trip though the Alps, regardless on the route you take, is completely safe if you use common sense in your driving.

May 3rd, 1999, 05:31 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Susie. My esteemed Georgia Tech compatriot is quite correct about the distance and time from Frankfurt to Rome. My suggestion is to take the autobahn to Basel and then to Bern. From Bern you have a choice, and I don't which to suggest.

One way is to continue on to Spiez and then Kandersteg. At Kandersteg you take the car ferry through the Goppenstein Tunnel. You drive onto a train car and ride through the mountain for a fee. From there head toward Brig and over the Simplon Pass to Italy. You pick up the big higway Domodossola. That way is a little windy and twisty.

From the other way is to take the road to Lausanne and on to the St. Bernard Pass and use the tunnel. You pick up the main highway close to a town in Italy called Aosta. No mountain passes on this route.

The roads over the passes in Switzerland are well engineered. We drove over the Susten Pass last summer. It is a winding road, and a little slow.

I do urge you to plan on seeing some mountains on the way and sleep overnight somewhere.

May 3rd, 1999, 05:36 PM
berna

Hi,
don't forget to take in consideration that the gas is at least $4 a gallon.
Flying might not be that much more expensive. good luck

May 3rd, 1999, 06:09 PM
Bob Brown

There is a 3rd route I forgot about.
From Basel, drive to Luzern and on to Altdorf. You will enter a long tunnel known as the Gotthart Tunnel that leads on to Lugano and Milan.
I have not taken that route south of Luzern; perhaps someone who has can add some advice.

May 3rd, 1999, 06:09 PM
Bob Brown

There is a 3rd route I forgot about.
From Basel, drive to Luzern and on to Altdorf. You will enter a long tunnel known as the Gotthart Tunnel that leads on to Lugano and Milan.
I have not taken that route south of Luzern; perhaps someone who has can add some advice.

May 3rd, 1999, 07:07 PM
Mary Ann

Susie: As stated above the pass roads are well engineered and no pot holes. However, the danger in driving may be Italy!! Last time we were there they created an extra lane when you were not moving fast enough, cut people off when there was only a hair between cars and the air was not the best in their tunnels. Road signs were also a problem in some cities, there were missing. Maybe things are better now but use caution when driving there.

May 3rd, 1999, 07:07 PM
Mary Ann

Susie: As stated above the pass roads are well engineered and no pot holes. However, the danger in driving may be Italy!! Last time we were there they created an extra lane when you were not moving fast enough, cut people off when there was only a hair between cars and the air was not the best in their tunnels. Road signs were also a problem in some cities, there were missing. Maybe things are better now but use caution when driving there.