motorhome regulations for Europe

Old Nov 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motorhome regulations for Europe

My husband and I and our kids are hoping to use our cousins motorhome in Europe to travel but just heard that there might be an issue with seatbelts. In Canada you can put more people than seat belts in the motorhome as long as the seatbelts available are being used. But we have just heard that that might not be the case for Europe. Does anyone know? Or know of a website or a place to contact? I've tried just googling it but can't seem to find out the actual law. We will be in the UK as well as a Holland, Germany, Italy, Hungary and France. Any suggestions? There will be 2 adults and 4 small children if that makes a difference.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

I should note that the motorhome we have available to use only has 4 seatbelts. Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, there is this for the UK:
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazi...best-practise/

But why would you not want ALL your kids to be belted in? Is one more expendable than the others?
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 10:39 PM

Seat belts are compulsory for every passenger in the UK and I imagine this is the case in all EU countries. You will be breaking the law if you do not comply and this is one traffic law that is rigidly enforced, at least in the UK. In the case of a parent not ensuring that a child is using a seatbelt I would expect ( and hope) that the penalties would be the maximum allowed. A further consideration is that, in the event of an accident, the absence of sufficient seatbelts could invalidate the insurance cover..
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM

Further research says that all passengers must wear seat belts in Ontario, at least. I guess the OP must live in a different province.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 11:21 PM

This link should answer your question: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_s...s/index_en.htm

Seat belts are the easiest and cheapest way to avoid injury in a crash. They do not require any special technology and are fitted in all cars. Since 2006, wearing seatbelts is compulsory in all vehicles throughout the EU.

Under EU law, drivers and passengers must wear a seat belt in any seat fitted with one.

Children

- children under 1.35 m tall, or travelling in cars/lorries fitted with safety devices, must use an approved device for their size.
- taller children may use an adult seat belt.
- rear-facing child restraints are no longer allowed on front passenger seats unless the airbag has been deactivated.
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 11:23 PM

Hmm. Seems the OP must live in Nunavut. According to Woodalls, which should be a reliable source of RV info, all passengers are required to wear seat belts in all other Canadian provinces.

http://www.woodalls.com/articledetai...icleID=2377513
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 11:33 PM

It does make sense that you can't buckle up more people than you have seat belts for but if you have children, they all have to be buckled up. That's the EU law on the matter.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-06-583_el.htm

The latest European Directive[1] on the compulsory use of seat belts has to be incorporated into law in the Member States by 9 May 2006. Under the existing European legislation it was compulsory to use seat belts in vehicles below 3.5 tonnes fitted with restraints. This obligation has now been extended to all categories of vehicles. The Directive also requires the use of restraint systems specially adapted for children.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:03 AM

I would also suggest insurance will be a problem too. Unless you have a driving licence from the same country as the vehicle is registered.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:05 AM

@ribeirasacra: explain.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:26 AM

I am absolutely gobsmacked that you would, apparently happily, let a couple of you bounce around unrestrained. Imagine the catastrophe if you are involved in a head on, or just as bit if it tips over.

Can I suggest that you should be one of those who does without a seat belt? I know my post is harsh, but I'm amazed and angry.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 01:18 AM

sparkchaser - normally in Europe insurance only covers national driving licences. Our car is insured for any driver possessing a Dutch licence, but is not covered for say a British or German driver. I had to get special permission from our insurers for my DIL, who at the time held a German licence, to drive our car.

British insurance is even stricter, and normally only named drivers are covered.

If this camper is being driven on Canadian licences, but is registered, and insured in a European country then the owner must notify their insurance company, and may have to pay an extra premium to cover it.
Since the vehicle doesn't have sufficient seat belts the question is moot.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 02:21 AM

That's interesting. I'm glad you mentioned that so I can go talk to my insurance agent. I kinda figured that as long as the car was insured for other drives then if the license was valid then you were good. Thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM

Perhaps you could look into having the motor home fitted with additional seatbelts.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM

sparkchaser always read the small print. Besides if this camper is UK registered and insured that there is a good chance the insurance period in mainland Europe is limited on cover and/or time.
Dreaming extra seatbelts cannot be fitted if there are no anchorage points to take the loads.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Wow. Harsh is right. I regret asking. Of course I want my kids seatbelted in. Sheesh.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 06:12 AM

If you want your kids belted in, why on earth are you asking if you can legally drive a motorhome that doesn't have enough belts for all your kids?
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Maybe Sarasota was planning to be unbelted.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Only four belts and four small children - who would be driving?
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Rib- do you already know that there aren't anchorage points? I don't know one way or the other, but have read that it is possible to retrofit older vehicles with belts, which was why I suggested she look into it. I still think its worth looking into, if it's not possible than Sara is back where she started, it if it possible then she has a solution. But I would defer to someone with a greater knowledge of seatbelts and/or motor homes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -