Motion Sickess help

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Meg

Motion Sickess help

I'm very excited about visiting the Amalfi Coast of Italy in December, but I hear it's a nightmare for people who get motion sickness. I recall Dramamine as something that just knocks you out, anyone have any favorite remedies for motion sickness? I've found a bunch of products on the web, but I would love some personal recommendations.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Vita

I've heard about some sort of wrist band that you can wear to prevent motion sickness. I've never tried it though. Here's a article out of Frommer's that talks about some remedies:

http://www.frommers.com/tips/health/health31.html

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Roger

I've tried the wrist bands on a fairly rough Carribean cruise. They worked great. Not too expensive.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Patrick

A traveling friend of mine gets motion sickness very easily. She wears the wrist band things and never has a problem. She has used them on ships and avoided the motion sickness all together. I was not a believer. We were driving up the mountain pass from Aspen and she started getting very sick. She had forgotten to put on the wrist bands. We pulled over, she got a few minutes of air, put on the bands, and never had another problem. I guess now I am a believer.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:44 AM
jenna leigh

Ohh! I know what your talking about.Nothing works, just take some saltine crackers and watch what you eat.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:48 AM
jenna leigh

The wrist band is really just a head thing.It is a placebo effect, and therefore people feel better.I dont have a weak mind and cant be tricked with all this hocus pocus.Its like trying to cure cancer thru acupuncture.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:49 AM
cj

Bonine is what we use, they come in flavors- Even it does contain Meclizine Hydrochloride it works longer with less drowsiness. There is Dramimine II - This does not have meclizine in it and works also, this does not put you to sleep. Remember to administer it 1/2 before boarding a plane or vessel. I have tried the patch behind the ear and it made me sicker than I would have been if I had not used it. Being owners of a boat, we must keep these things on hand for our visitors. The wrist band does work, it has to be placed where you pulse is. We bought some oil (I'll have to find the name) at a boat show and this works too. The secret is to make sure it is given at least 1/2 hour before boarding. After the sickness occurs, it is useless.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Gail

Candied ginger is great for queasiness. I keep a little baggie of it in my purse (just a few pieces) when I travel, and eat a piece if I start to feel nauseous on the plane, etc. It also helps when you have nausea from anything - flu, pregnancy, whatever. I don't think it would prevent motion sickness, of course, but will help with the symptoms. It's fast, too.

(Don't laugh! It really works. Remember when your Mommy gave you ginger ale and saltines when you had a tummy ache?!!)

You can buy it in the grocery store.

Do what you have to do, but don't MISS the Amalfi Coast!

Buon viaggio!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:38 AM
jenna leigh

That is true about the ginger, even ginger snaps cookies.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Burta

I've used the wrist bands in the U.S. called "Sea Bands", which at one time were only available by mail order. There is a little half marble set into a stretchy band. The marble is placed onto a pressure point on the inside of your wrist. I was very skeptical, but get every kind of motion sickness imaginable. They worked for me! Worth trying for the small amount it costs to get them. I'm told they are now available and many drug and discount stores.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Susan

My husband has also had good luck with ginger. You can buy it in tablet form anywhere you get vitamins/supplements.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:13 PM
maggie

Hello!
I too suffer from motion sickness..Yuck!! If I want to nap...dramamine. If I want to stay awake I use Bonine(was offered it on a dive boat on a choppy day).This stuff works! Also, ginger is good....health food stores have this). I heard that shuttle and space station astronauts keep ginger handy(heard on NPR)..,so you might want to try it. I also drive alot of the time because that helps...Good luck...Have a wonderful trip...don't forget the bonine...Also, take the medication 30 min. prior ro the motion..that helps!Maggie

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Kay

Meg, I truly sympathise! I've travelled the world and suffer from motion sickness on everything that moves - cars, planes, ships, you name it.
I bought Dramamine while I was in America (you can't buy the same one here in Australia). It's marked as a less drowsy formula, lasts for 24 hours. It's fantastic for long flights as you don't get that peak and trough sickness as the 4 hr tablet wears off.
Would be worth trying.
Kay

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 03:29 PM
nauseous

Hi there:

I have tried all the different things suggested here, and I can 100% agree with the ginger cure - it really does help enormously - secondly, in my ressearching over the years I read somewhere and found to great effect that eating a bit of protein before the nausea inducing event really helps too. Even if its just a little burger or something - having an empty stomach can really aggravate the nausea because when your stomach is empty, any acid produced has nowhere to go.

So fresh ginger and a little protein for me! Dramamine is just way too strong.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 01:34 AM
Paige

I took the bus from Sorrento to Positano and it definitely made me green! I didn't think it would be that bad so I didn't take anything. I've taken 24 hour non-drowsy Dramamine before and it works well, but it makes me a little sleepy. The regular Dramamine works great but completely knocks me out. The wristbands don't do a thing for me.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 01:35 AM
Paige

The other thing that helps me immensely is to sit in the very front of the bus. The buses along the Amalfi coast get really crowded though.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:27 AM
Tony Hughes

2 remedies:

1) My late grandmother proposed this motion sickness remedy...

Process: Using a knife or melon scoop, fashion a ball of butter (salted or unsalted, it doesnt matter) about the size of a golf ball. Coat liberally with refined, white sugar (demerera if you dont have white). Swallow.

Your trip should go without a hitch if you manage to keep the butterball down.

2) Place a toothpaste-covered Band-Aid between your top lip and the base of your nose, a little messy but should do the trick. Worked for me on Highway 1 in California earlier this year when Emily opened a pack of sweet 'n hot beef jerky.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:53 AM
Dave

My wife and I were just on a boat around Scotland and England for 10 days. We cut a Transderm Scop patch in half, apply it behind the ear, new one every 4 days. We had no sea sickness, no side effects. We have done this many times previously.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 04:38 PM
ja

Hi, Meg,
I definitely support "seabands"- they work by acupressure on the anti-nausea points in the inner wrists. I wear them on plane, bus, boat and car trips. Best of all - no drug side effects of any kind!
ja

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Laura

I suffer from such severe motion sickness that I always walked everywhere. I found some relief from natural supplements from the health food store--just ask for something specifically formulated for motion sickness. Dramamine knocked me out and the wrist bands were useless. Ginger didn't work for me either. But with these new pills I can take a short ride in a car or bus. Hope you find something that works for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -