Search

MOST ROMANTIC HOTEL IN PARIS FOR "THE BIG NIGHT"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOST ROMANTIC HOTEL IN PARIS FOR "THE BIG NIGHT"

Hello all,

Think of "popping the question" on our upcoming trip to Europe. We end the trip with three days in Paris and I thought that would be about the best place in the world to propose. For that final evening I would like to stay at the most romantic hotel in the city, given the occasion. I would prefer to stay at 500 US dollars or less but would pay more for the right hotel. I would also prefer to stay in the 1st arrondissement as it very central to everything we want to do...but, again, would stay elsewhere for the right place. Preferences, but not necessities, would include a balcony with view (preferrably of the Eiffel Tower), a really nice bathroom, and something with a Parisian feel to it, not a chain hotel.
For those who know the city well, where would you choose to stay for such a special occasion? I have done tons of research but am having a tough time on this one.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions,

Bill
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM

The Grand Hotel near La Madeleine concert hall - church.
or you could always google magnificent/best hotels in Paris.

It will absolutely be a night remembered
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Definitely Hotel de Crillon. More than $500 a night however, sweetie darling. This is where kings and movie stars stay.

You have the most romantic view of Place Concord in front of you. You can see the Eiffel Tower in the background.

Thin
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Check out Thirza Vallois' book ROMANTIC PARIS.
In one chapter she lists the hotels.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Go to the Hôtel Plaza Athénée Paris, is one of my favorites.
25 avenue Montaigne, 75008 Paris, France
The rooms are scented with a unique fragrance of amber.
Alain Ducasse is the Executive Chef of the hotel supervising all dining venues. His own restaurant, Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, offers exceptional, contemporary French cuisine.
The Bar du Plaza Athénée is decorated by interior designer Patrick Jouin, and it has the most daring and creative cocktails of Paris.

Also you must visit the Dior Institut at the Plaza Athénée, a great experience.

Is the perfect place to finish your trip, you won't regret!
Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:10 PM

Hi euclid,

I really loved the Hotel Brighton, though it's in the 1st. It overlooks the Tuileries, and rooms toward the top have a panoramic view with the Eiffel Tower in the distance. When you leave the hotel, the Pl. de la Concorde is just half a block to your right -- great location.

I can imagine your evening, on a terrace overlooking the gardens . . . bottle of champagne . . .

Rates are about 290 for a double looking at the Tuileries, or 390 for an upgraded room.

http://www.brightonhotelparis.com/index.html

Have fun!

s
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:44 AM

Bill - What a lovely idea! She is very lucky indeed. I have been to Paris many times and stayed all over the place. My husband and I particularly like the Hotel Le Grand (owned by the Interconti chain) for 2 reasons. One is that the view of the Opera (right across the street) first thing in the morning, with the sun glinting on the gold statues, is breathtaking. The view is equally gorgeous at night. I have spent many a time sipping a glass of champagne, in my bathrobe, looking at that view and the world down below. The second reason is the Cafe de la Paix, where you have breakfast in the morning. Not only is the breakfast one of the best I have ever had (I think about 3 o 4 cultures are covered: american, euro, japanese, etc..) but the room is stunning. We usually spend 2 hours there.

The other hotel I have had my eye on is the Hotel de Banville (www.hotelbanville.fr). While it is not centrally located (20 min walk from Arc de Triomphe), I think some of the rooms look absolutely stunning - gorgeous bathrooms, very romantic decor, views of the Eiffel Tower. If you look it up on Googlemaps, there is a street view. I'm sure you will choose to stay somewhere more central than this but if you get stuck, you could give it a try. The Marie apartment looks amazing.

I'm not sure if this is your first trip to Paris? My husband proposed to me on the Pont des Arts, which is a pedestrianised bridge over the Seine, near the Ile de la Cité. He did this right at the time that the tower was sparkling, which I think it still does every hour, on the hour, at night, for 5 minutes (used to be 10 mins). If you are stuck for a place to do it, I can't think of a better location than the steps of the Palais de Chaillot, facing the tower, while it's sparkling...
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM

I think the outdoor terrace at the Cafe L'Homme restaurant at the foot of the Eiffel Tower (although it is across the Seine at the Trocadero) would be a spectacular place to "pop the question!" Sitting at the foot of the Tower with the lights sparkling for 10 minutes on the hour was enchanting!

I believe the Raphael Hotel also has a rooftop bar or restaurant. It is on Ave. Kleber which is in the 16th but just a short distance from the Arc d' Triomphe.

What a fabulous idea! Do you have a brother???

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM

I think I would choose the Crillon, but you do realize how far the 1ère is from the Eiffel Tower, right? If you want the Tour just outside your window, you'll need to be in the 7ème.

Félicitations!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I second the idea of the area at the Palais Chaillot, viewing the Eiffel Tower, for popping the question. And then I'd say rent one of those parisperfect.com apartments that have a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower to view daily. Gracejoan where are you? Jump in here. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Another vote for the Plaza Athenee! There are room at this hotel that have a view of the Eiffel Tower! No idea how much they are but, I'd imagine they'd be more than $500US. The Crillion is lovely but I don't believe any rooms or suites offer a view of the Eiffel Tower. I would also say the George V in the 8th arrond.(part of the Four Seasons chain) would be lovely. IMO there's nothing chain-like about it. Considered by many to be one of the best in the world!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:39 AM

The Raphael has a great suite overlooking the Tour Eiffel. We booked it on Luxurylink and got a great discount; thr rack rate is prohibitive. Give it a try; you may luck out!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Plaza Athenee is luxurious and sumptuous, art deco style, close to the Champs Elysees, awsome garden with Virginia creepers. but costs $800 or more a night.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM

If you are open to the 6th then I love the Relais Christine. It is smaller and very elegant and romantic. It is part of the small luxury hotels of the world group and is a renovated 16th century mansion. For$500 you should be able to get a superior room. It is a great part of the quartier with good restaurants all around. Here's a link:

http://www.slh.com/france/paris/parrel.html

3 Rue Christine
75006 Paris

Tel. +33 (0)1 40 51 60 80
Fax : +33 (0)1 40 51 60 81
[email protected]
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Here's another vote for Hôtel Plaza Athénée, especially if you can snare a room with a view of the Tour Eiffel.

Even more romantic, though, would be a ParisPerfect apartment with a balcony, table for two thereon, and a "reach out and touch it" view of the Tour Eiffel. Sometimes you can book one for less than a week, depending on your dates. Of course, there's no room service, etc., but there is privacy!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM

djkbooks- That's exactly what I was suggesting...a parisperfect.com apartment with a view of the Eiffel Tower, a balcony, and privacy. Plus, in really expensive hotels how many times is one really going to eat at the hotel restaurant, or use the other facilities that one is paying a fortune for to have a room because of other available facilities. People probably eat out at regular city restaurants. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM

The Montrachet apartment through parisperfect.com looks perfect for romance. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM

If you decide with the Hôtel Plaza Athénée Paris, I am a frequent guest there, let me know if you need any help trying to find the room with a view to the Eiffel Tower!!!
The hotel is really special!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to give your suggestions. I will spend the next 24 hours researching all of them. This will be my second trip to Paris and her first. I am by no means committed to the 1st arrondissement but just preferred it because of the central location and proximity to many metro lines. I love the idea of an apartment but don't know if they'll book us for only four nights. The Crillon had been my top choice before starting this thread but I am grateful for all these new ideas.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM

I just noticed that the link for small luxury hotels also list all the other ones in Paris on the left column-so you might look at those as well, they are all quite special.

http://www.slh.com/france/paris/parrel.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -