Reload this Page >

MOST RECENT FAA ANNOUNCEMENT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Deb

Hi. I'm a Travel Agent and I thought all you Fodorites might be interested in the most recent announcement from the FAA....here you go! <BR> <BR> <BR>The FAA has just released these new security directives for when flights resume: <BR> <BR>1. There will be no curbside check-in nor off-airport checked baggage acceptance <BR> <BR>2. Access through the security checkpoints will be for customers with tickets or ticket confirmations only <BR> <BR>3. Customers with E-Tickets will be required to have a receipt or will have to check-in at the ticket counter in order to gain access to the concourse <BR> <BR>4. Knives of any length or description will no longer be allowed through the security checkpoint <BR> <BR>5. Recommends that customers check-in at least two hours prior to departure for ALL domestic and international flights to cope with substantially increased security measures <BR> <BR>Hope this helps anyone who will be traveling in the near future. <BR>Reagrds, <BR>Deb

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Grounded

That's it? You mean, that's the extent of security the FAA thinks is appropriate to remedy the widespread problems in U.S. airport non-security? They're going to ban knives now? <BR> <BR>Oh, come on! This is a bandaid for a serious problem. People, you should be up in arms demanding more security. Open your eyes! <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Deb

Grounded, <BR>As of right now this is what the FAA is saying. No one knows what the future will bring. I believe as you that it just isn't enough and is to little too late........my heart goes out to everyone and everybody who lost someone on Sept. 11th. However I thought that it should be posted where everyone could see it. <BR>Regards, <BR>Deb

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:39 PM
M.M.

There is every justification for 2 sky marshalls per plane, now, as El Al has. I would gladly pay an additional $10-20+ per ticket to pay for that. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Deb

M.M., <BR>I completely agree!!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:47 PM
xxx

As long as they aren't doing thorough backround checks on the airport security and baggage handlers there will still be a gaping hole in security.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
arabella

We have security at sporting events, concerts, schools, parking garages... you name it. I'd be happy to pay more to have security in the sky. Would make flight attendants' jobs easier, too.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:50 PM
???

I don't want ANYONE on a plane with a gun. What is to stop a hijacker from managing to subdue a marshall and get the gun to use for his own purpose?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Oops

I think Bush should use the surplus to pay for additional airport security. <BR> <BR>What's that you say? The surplus is gone because Bush sent out rebate checks and the economy tanked? Bummer. I'll bet that money would have paid for an awful lot of sky marshalls.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:54 PM
knock

political commentary

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:59 PM
joe

TOPPER............

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Beth

Whether you know it or not people are on planes all the time with guns who are law enforcement personnel. My hubby is with USSS in Chicago and travels constantly it feels like to this area or that for Bush or clinton or whoever's next public appearance. He is flying commercial and is required to fly armed! These people have special credentials though.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:19 PM
l

Does the travel industry anticipate a rise in airfares in the near future, or will people be afraid to fly after this.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Capo

Thanks, Deb. Those new directives certainly sound like a good start, especially #4. The fact that knives up to 4" in length have been allowed all along seems pretty amazing to me.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Joanne

Interestingly, nothing in the FAA's proposed new regulations would have prevented Tuesday's tragedies. Box cutters are basically just a razor blade holder. On a cross-country flight, probably most passengers are carrying at least one razor blade! I'll cast my vote with the sky marshalls, thanks.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:35 PM
xxx

We need to secure the cockpit so that no one can take over a plane. Anyone determined enough can force his way in there. Once the plane leaves the terminal the door should be locked, no coffee from the flight attendants, no one going in and out, LOCKED until safely landed. I don't know what would have to be done to accomplish this, but that's the only thing I can think of that might prevent something like this from happening again. A flawed plan I'm sure, but maybe there is a way to make it work.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Capo

To: xxx, about securing the cockpit. <BR> <BR>Perhaps there will be some way to accomplish this, and it certainly seems like something that should be done but, according to aviation expert John Nance, under questioning from Peter Jennings last night, the door separating the flight cabin from the rest of the plane simply cannot be made impenetrable, like a bank vault door. He said it's due to potential problems during depressurization (or something along those lines.) <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 05:53 PM
lisa

Deb- <BR>I am scheduled on a flight from NYC (JFK) <BR>to Lisbon on Saturday Sept 15. As of right now the airport is still closed. My question to you as a travel agent... If the airport should resume service by Saturday, where do I stand?? Do they offer the flight to those who were scheduled earlier in the week, is is first come,first serve or what? I am unable to reach TAP. Any advice you can give me will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Andy

Lisa- If the FAA allows flights to take off, passengers holding confirmed reservations for that flight (meaning you) get on the plane first. <BR> <BR>Just make sure you get to the airport 3 hrs early for new check-in policy- <BR> <BR>Passengers that didn't make previous flights due to the airlines not flying, are put on the "next available" aircraft. <BR> <BR>You should be fine, as long as the airport is open and your flight is going to depart...Make sure you call the airline ahead of time to re-confirm you flight and make sure of the departure time. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps-----

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Debbie Lee

Hi Deb, or any other travel folks in the know... This is not directly about European travel, but we gained our Frequent Flyer tickets from our European sojourn, so maybe it still counts!! I am emailing from Australia, and in a little over a week and a half our little family of 6, will be travelling over to the other side of Aus to visit Nonno and Nonna. The problem is, our tickets are booked on Ansett, which is an Australian Airline that looks daily as if it will be going into liquidation/administration, due to financial difficulties... We have 4 bought tickets that will be covered by our travel insurance, but our 2 Frequent Flyer tickets won't be, as we could have changed the dates if necessary, I hadn't even considered the fact that the airline could go bust. (They were booked 6 months ago, which is what you often need to do in Aus to get your dates) I'm wondering if anyone would know if we would get some sort of reimbursement pretty much straight away for the FF tickets, as we would have to try and re-book on the competitive airline to still go in the kids school holidays... Anyone have any idea about this?? Thanks...DLC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -