Most Luxurious Hotels around Bath

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a fabulous/luxurious place to stay in or around Bath. Considering The Manor House in Castle Combe and Thornbury Castle near Bristol. Really dying to stay in a large, castle kind of accomodation. Any suggestions or feed back on these two selections ? Note - we are a party of three including 1 12 yr old boy. Thanks
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Fabulous and luxurious and FAMOUS <b>IN</b> Bath is the Royal Crescent Hotel. Because it's in the city, it may not have the drive up a long drive feel you're looking for.

Other options
Combe Grove Manor House &amp; Country Club in Monkton Combe
Homewood Park (6 miles from Bath)
Lucknam Park in Colerne near Bath
The Priory in Bath
Ston Easton Park 11 miles south of Bath.

You might check tripadvisor.com for reviews.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mclaurie. I'm interested in
Luchman Park and also The Bath Spa Hotel. How do they stack up to the Manor House in Castle Combe ??
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:11 PM

If you want real luxury, head for Ston Easton Park. The Major House in Castle Combe is very nice, but Ston Easton has a very different atmosphere, very much Upstairs/Downstairs. The rooms are absolutely beautiful; I wanted to take home several chairs from ours, which had a Hepplewhite-style four-poster and a view over the lovely grounds. One nice touch was a thermos of ice water in the bathroom.

The owners of Ston Easton Park have managed to create a setting that feels like your own home (if you had a whole lot of money and inherited antiques, of course!). We loved it.

We had lunch at Thornbury Castle before it opened as a hotel and enjoyed it, but over the years we have come to prefer 18th-century d&eacute;cor to Tudor and Jacobean. But it is a castle if that's what you want, while the Manor House in Castle Combe is not.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:31 AM

I'm trying to decide between Lucknam Park and Ston Easton Park. I've looked at both brochures in detail and they both look wonderful. Lucknam strikes me as a bit more &quot;institutional&quot; or &quot;hotel-like&quot; than Ston Easton Park, which seems more like you're staying at a wealthy friend's home. The tradeoffs I'm trying to weigh are price (the Lucknam is much more expensive), amenities (Lucknam has a pool, spa, and extensive gardens but also is not as intimate) and proximity to Bath. Has anybody out there heard these two spots compared?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:51 AM

No, but at Ston Easton Park you could have a pool of a different kind: there's a very nice billiards room in the basement. The library is lovely, and the rooms are exquisite.