Reload this Page >

Most dangerous country on Earth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Pat

I was just reading a Lonely Planet warning that Mexico City was the most dangerous place in North America. <BR> <BR>While it can change from day to day, and is dependant on gender, what do you suppose is the most dangerous place on Earth right now?

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Bill

Interesting question, but it's safe to say that the answer is not among the countries of Europe.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:47 PM
xxx

Butlin's holiday camp at Bognor Regis, West Sussex, especially during the March "Disco Inferno" festival. People in spontaneous combustion from too much funk. Stay away.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Capo

I think any place that has religious zealots who invoke the name of God to serve their purposes can be a pretty dangerous place.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:29 PM
clairobscur

<BR> <BR> I think Liberia and Sierra Leone must rank quite high.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:39 PM
fred

refer to a great paperback the worlds most dangerous places by robert pelton. makes for many an enjoyable evening

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:41 PM
fred

go to bookstore and get the paperback the worlds most dangerous places by robert pelton it will keep your interest up for several evenings

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Sandy

Guatemala City . . . without a doubt . . . have been all over the world and to GC three times and I'm still nervous everytime I go there. <BR> <BR>I LOVE Guatemala though, just not their capital! <BR> <BR>Sandy

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Marc David Miller

For entertainment (or travel ideas), go to <BR> <BR>http://www.comebackalive.com/df/index.htm

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 08:08 PM
nancy

For another very interesting read - try Dan Fielding's "World's Most Dangerous Places". Couldn't put it down. I think he also has a website. I liked the comparisons he drew between Hezbollah and the pro-life group in the US, Army of God. There are a number of striking similarities.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 11:25 PM
xxx

Read Capos description once again and figure out that the place he/she described is America 2001 - the Dumbya administration (or call it pretender to the throne, whichever you choose). Power and control disguised as religious self righteousness.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Tony Hughes

I always thought Mexico was in Central America. <BR> <BR>Dangerous country? Not sure. Most dangerous city - Caracas.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Chet

The United States is the most dangerous place to live on Earth. 25,000 murders. Hundreds of thousands of rapes, armed robberies and assaults. 1.4 million abortions. The USA is a land of barbaric affluence.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 07:34 AM
SharonM

Interesting idea of a thread... <BR>Curious as to why/how people are coming up with their deductions, however. <BR>What logic is everyone using to denote "Danger"? <BR> <BR>Earthquakes? <BR>Active Volcano Eruptions? <BR>Hurricanes/Monsoons? <BR>Flood basins? <BR>Poor/non-existant living conditions? <BR>Starvation? <BR>Disease? <BR>Pollution? <BR>Animal attacks? <BR>Religious despots? <BR>Racial dissention? <BR>Military upheaval? <BR>War zones? <BR>Murder rate? <BR> <BR>Mad Cows? <BR> <BR>Kind of vague, to my thinking... <BR> <BR>And Fred, I'm sure that book is probably pretty interesting, but found your use of the word "enjoyable" in this context rather ironic <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Topper

topping for all the dangerous mad cows.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Pat

I liked the list of dangers. I'd thought only about violence, but natural disasters are a good criterion. <BR> <BR>I'd thought everybody would say Afghanistan was most dangerous, but I suppose it can't hold a candle to being in a city with an exploding volcano.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:33 AM
londoner

South East London is pretty risky. <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 12:24 PM
nancy

The first two that came to mind were Afghanistan (if you are a woman) and Columbia (if you are anyone who someone else thinks would bring a good ransom!).