Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Malaga to Seville by car? OR Ronda to Seville by car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 09:12 AM
monica

Does anyone recommend driving that distance? or should we take a train? How long does it take to get there from Malaga. OR Would it be better to go from Ronda to seville?

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Sophia

Seville to Malaga or vice versa is pretty easy. I think I remember it being about 1.5 hours away. Plus you get to use the AutoVia which is basically a freeway. I think I remember the speedlimit being about 100KmPH which is 70mph. Very drivable distance. <BR>Instead of taking train, why not take the private bus system instead called AutoRes. Cheap (6 or 7 US bucks I'm sure for a one way) and it felt almost like 1st class. You'll go back to the US and groan at the very thought of Greyhound. 2 worlds apart.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Maira

Actually, we done both routes and I don't recalled either one been less than 2 hours..... Malaga-Seville is a beautiful route. I will almost beg you to take your time on that route of beautiful White Towns and outstanding views. However, if you have to rush, then allocate about 2.5 hours. Ronda-Seville is closer, but because the driving is a bit more treacherous on country roads in the mountains, allow your self, at a minimum two hours. Try to do this drive at daylight. We used Road atlas (bought at Barnes & Noble) and Michelin maps. BTW, Michelin and Shell have good driving route planners online.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:39 PM
monica

Thank you Sofia and Maira for your guidance. Maira you read my mind about the map. I wanted to find a good one. Thank you for your help. Would you both recommend driving from Malaga to Ronda and staying the night and drive the next morning to seville?

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Maira

yes, I certainly would recommend that. On your way to Ronda from Malaga, take A366 and try to stop at a town called Coin. This small Andalucian village has wonderful markets (specially on Saturdays!) with great typical products at very good prices. Ronda is a beautiful city with spectacular views. Spend the night, then head out to Seville, with stops in Arcos de la Frontera (you will see this town from the road perched on the top of a mountain; breathtaking!). Very nice ride.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Pedro

I would recommend you to spend the night in Ronda and then drive to Sevilla. It would be better to get to Ronda at noon, to enjoy this wonderful city in the afternoon. Next day you could make some stops in Grazalema, Zahara or Arcos. These white villages are well worth. Respect of the maps I strongly recommend you to get Michelin Map of Southern Spain. You can trust on it. I usually eat very well in Ronda at a restaurant called Meson Santiago. The Parador and Restaurante Pedro Romero are more expensive but are really well situated.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Monica

Thankyou to all for such wonderfull suggestions. We are definitly going to do what you said. I can't wait to go. If you rememeber more infor let me know. I do have another question. We wanted to spend a night in Marbella...its it worth it. I have heard its nice but expensive. Would you recommend a nice but less expensive hotel?

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 12:05 AM
Cil

The drive is easy from Rondo to Sevilla, however, a caution about driving. We were forewarned about occasional "bandits" standing in the middle of the road-and yes as we were heading to the white towns it happened. We swerved and went on our way. I was glad we had been warned.

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Karen

I'm doing almost the same trip (Seville, Malaga, Ronda). But we're planning on going to Rhonda on our way back from Gibraltar,spend the night, then tour the white villages the following day. Is this practical?

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Pedro

I am really surprised about the posting which talked about "bandits". I have made all those roads thousand times and never saw or heard anything related. You will probably find some shepherds along the drive but nobody else. It is part of the history that the mountains that surrounds Ronda were among the places you could find "bandits" but two centuries !!! ago. Now it is an absolutely safe place and one of my favourite places in the whole Andalucia.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:06 PM
celeste

Pedro, I guess it still exists. Just read it in Frommer's Spain 2001. What a shame!