Reload this Page >

most dangerous countries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:15 AM
linda

Just wondering if there is a place to find a list of countries that are putting Americans on alert? I have a friend vacationing for the next month in Greece and was just wondering about that country. Will the embassies alert Americans to leave certain countries?

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Vita

Linda, You can try the State Dept.'s Web site, www.state.gov, or the US Embassy in Greece, www.usembassy.gr.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:29 AM
woman

Terrorism aside, as a woman, I would never travel to a country where women have no rights, such as Afganistan under the Taliban.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:35 AM
Sjoerd

Nobody knows. There are obvious countries to which Westerners shouldn't travel now (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq), but all *normal* tourist destinations are basically safe. Who would have thought that the US would be the most dangerous country to travel in last week? <BR>I have friends who are currently travelling in Iran and they write they have a great time and the locals are very friendly to them.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Jean Valjean

My company (global, based in UK) is reccomending to differ non-essential travel to the Middle East, North Africa (including Sudan), Bangladesh, Pakistan, Malaysia, Indonesia and Turkey (Afghanistan is not on the list, but then again, nobody in the co. goes to Afghanistan, anyway) <BR> <BR>The only one that REALLY surprises me is Turkey...

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Linda

Jean, I'm not surprised at Turkey. I know, Turkey is our "friend" and the Turkish people are marvelous. The only problem, as I see it is the "neighborhood in which they live." Look at a globe and see what countries border or are very close to <BR>Turkey. I really don't think we need to fear from the Turks--it's the others who might sneak in.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
EP

Greece is normal European country. Orthodox by religion. I can understand that travelling in Middle East could cause some concern, but cīmon, not Europe!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Linda

EP, I don't understand your thought processes. If terrorists can hit the US, they can, and have, numerous times, hit Europe. Greece and Turkey are a LOT closer to most of their haunts than the US. Why do you think any country is safer than another right now? I'm interested in your logic.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 06:50 PM
An American who's watching

Re:Turkey -- We may have to deploy troops in or from Turkmenistan (sp?), on the northern border of Afghanistan. While it is a former Soviet bloc country, there are many relatives of Turks there, which makes the whole issue touchy. In addition, the peoples in the eastern parts of Turkey who didn't like us in the first place.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:23 PM
gaia

I think, that the most dangerous countries at the moment are the US and Israel, Irak adn Pakistan, (Kosovo, Macedonia etc.)

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:35 PM
StCirq

Just for starters, personally, I'd think twice about traveling to Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey, Greece, Pakistan, India, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Egypt, Algeria, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, The United Arab Emirates, and Algeria.Check the State Department updates for further specific information.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 07:45 PM
x

and Libya?

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 09:05 AM
dave

Linda -Why Greece?!! simple geographics are not usually their basis for an attack.