Mosquitoes in St.P

Jun 6th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Jane

Mosquitoes in St.P

Is the mosquito problem in St. Petersburg as severe as I have read? We will be there the end on June and the beginning of July.

Jun 6th, 2001, 07:35 AM
michele

Jane,
I was there in August when it was Leningrad and yes, there were mosquitos.
It wasn't terrible, but I did keep the windows closed at night. I don't think it was any worse than New England in the summer, but some repellant might be handy.

Jun 6th, 2001, 08:01 AM
jhm

I had a terrible experience with mosquitos in St. Petersburg in early July a few years ago. Whether things have changed or not, I don't know, but do not keep your windows open at night in the hotel, and bring lots of bug repellent.

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Marc David Miller

At least last year I didn't see any in late June. Next week I am off to Petersburg and from what others have told me the problem is not too bad yet. However, I expect no such relieving news when I am in Siberia the following week.

The first thing I did notice on the car trip from Pulkovo to central Petersburg was a HUGE quantity of white "puffs", almost as large as cotton balls, that are shed from trees. The first day I held my hands over my face for fear of inhaling them. They would be swept up on the streets and appear to be snow at first glance.

Jun 6th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Marc David Miller

Also bring a small umbrella-last June it rained almost every day (briefly) when I was in Petersburg, Tallin, Tartu and Helsinki

Jun 9th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Debbie

Jane-Just returned from St P-no problems with mosquitos, but as Marc David Miller mentioned, those white puffs are everywhere-they're harmless, but pesty. You'll also be experiencing 'white nights'-at midnight, it'll appear as if the lights have been dimmed, but not turned off. Something to see if you've never experienced this before. Have a great trip-St P is a beautiful city.