Moscow lavatory basics

Mar 17th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Gerrit

Moscow lavatory basics

I stated the Message title somewhat delicately. What about public bathroom facilities in Moscow? Being an endurance athlete (2 marathons, 8 triathlons) I am a habitual hydrator (drink lots of water). Being in my mid-fifties, my bladder capacity seems to have diminished. Normally, the benefits of consistent water consumption, outweigh the disadvantages of frequent bathroom visitation. With that exciting intro, how will I fare roaming around in Moscow? Or should I just cut back on water consumption if there is a significant difficulty with ..... in Moscow?

Mar 17th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Marc David Miller

I found the availability to be no worse than in NY.

Mar 19th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Gerrit

Never been to New York Marc. ????????

Mar 19th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Debbie

Gerrit-very delicately asked question! For starters, include tp in your packing and carry it with you as you venture out. Facilities generally clean and functional in restaurants, museums, shopping malls, and the like. You may have to pay for the privledge, however, so keep a ruble or two with you just in case. You may find a matron attendant in some public facilities-drop your change in the bowl on the attendant counter, in excange for another coin-like token, which you'll drop into somewhat of a turnstile before entering your intended destination. You may be offered tp at this point-take it if you need to because you may not find any once you're situated in your stall. Trust me when I say it won't be Charmin either!

Mar 21st, 2002, 07:01 AM
Gerrit

Awright Debbie - Great info. thx.

Mar 21st, 2002, 08:07 AM
xxx

Say what you will about McDonald's or other fast food chains but almost always the bathrooms there are clean and actual toilets, not squatters, and usually have tp but it's a good idea to bring some kleenex or tp with you

Mar 21st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Dubya

'Include tp' ?

Why would anyone take toothpicks to the john ???

Mar 21st, 2002, 09:27 AM
John

Not entirely off-topic. In the USSR days I had the distinct(?) pleasure of using the lavvies at the Kubyshev airport one endless night, where the paper in the stalls consisted of chopped up copies of Isvestia and Pravda. (Isvestia means "news" and Pravda means "truth" and the old saying went that there was no truth in the news and no news in the truth.)

I thought this was a sly editorial comment on the part of the airport management regarding the proper use of the national news media; but it wasn't an uncommon practice then, maybe the same now.

So the moral of the story, Gerrit, is take your own supplies, even if you can't handle the truth.

Mar 21st, 2002, 10:29 AM
Faith

Gerrit, the restrooms were really filthy when I was there about five years ago. But worse in the outlying towns that our tour group visited. I HAD to use one and had to hold on to another tourist and she held on to me so we wouldn't slip in the slop. Maybe easier for a man though.

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:47 PM
screwy

tp