More time in Lisbon or Porto?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

We just re-booked Portugal for late March/April.

We've had to cancel twice before, so hoping the third time is a charm.

I already have an itinerary in place, as most of the work was done for previous trips, however, this trip will be a few days shorter, so I need to make a decision about where to cut three nights.

Previous trip had us spending seven nights Porto, three in Pinhao, three in Coimbra, three in Evora, three in Sintra and six in Lisbon.

So, I'm thinking we should change to five nights each in Porto and Lisbon, but wondering if more time in one vs the other would make sense.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon, which has more museums to visit:

https://flic.kr/p/7S2ZKU https://flic.kr/p/2gwu86A
https://flic.kr/p/2gwtwpF https://flic.kr/p/7S2YXh
https://flic.kr/p/2gwwjaa https://flic.kr/p/2gwsxNp
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael. Not really a big museum person.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Have just researched Porto and there seems so much to do I'm now thinking about eliminating the three nights we'd had for Pinhao and extending our stay in Porto - seems we can take a river cruise with lunch and wine tasting into the Douro which might be more fun than basing for three nights in Pinhao, especially since we won't have a car.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 09:13 AM

This is not a recommendation, just an observation: Sintra is so close to the centre of Lisbon as to be almost a suburb. Easy to combine the two and clip off a couple of days.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we've considered that as well, thank you.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 11:46 AM

Hi Mel,
I just left you a few thoughts about a day trip Porto-Douro on your "For those who have been to Portugal...." thread.
Maribel
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel!
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 02:31 PM

At least two full days in Sintra.
Pre COVID it was important to start sightseeing early in the day to avoid crowds.

In theory you could indeed drop one of the Lisbon nights and combine it with Sintra, or vice versa. But I don't think I would "clip off a couple of days". Maybe one day from Lisbon if you don't want to visit museums at all.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 03:19 PM

If you don't want to visit all of the 5 Sintra monuments (Pena Palace, Castle, National Palace, Quinta da Regaleira, Monserrate), you could make it a day trip from Lisbon, just concentrating on the Castle and the extensive Parque de Sintra grounds for walks and a hike down to the village.
To soak up the atmosphere of this special town and to avoid the (pre-Covid) crowds and be able to enjoy it in the evening when the bus tours have departed, I would budget two days.

It really depends on your interests.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, we'd pretty much come to the conclusion that we wanted two full days in Sintra, hence the three nights. I think we'll leave that part as is. A day trip just doesn't seem sufficient.

I've come up with at least three day trips from Porto but can't do all of them as it would leave no time for Porto, which is why I was rethinking Pinhao. But then again, wine and port are a big draw for us, so don't want to shortchange the wine regions either.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm currently researching all there is to see and do in each area we've planned to visit. Then will have to trim (or not) depending on our personal interests.

Appreciate the insight.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 11:41 AM

Mel,
If you do decide to stay in Pinhão, I've attached my notes regarding the Douro Valley cellars, where they sit in relationship to Pinhão, how to reach them, whether they offer Porto wines or table wines or both and whether they offer dining, it this helps you to decide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Maribel's Douro winery notes.pdf (155.7 KB, 286 views)
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, that's fantastic, I will take a look.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 05:35 AM

Also planning a 17 day trip similar to Melnq8 in May (3-21). Had to cancel this proposed trip for the first two weeks this past January. Planning on flying into Lisbon and then spending 2 nights in Cascais followed by 4 nights in Lisbon. Train to Tomar for 3 nights, train to Coimbra for 3 nights and then train to Porto for 5-6 nights. Flying out of Porto. Been to Sintra, Obidos and Evora so no day trips from Lisbon this time. I do want to take the ferry over to Calcihas for half a day from Lisbon. Never been to Tomar or Coimbra so really excited about exploring those towns. Did a day trip from Guimaraes to Porto a few years back and loved it but a day is obviously not enough time to explore Porto.
We also enjoy wine and porto tastings Melnq8 and would enjoy a trip into the Douro region but you can get the same vintages in Porto as in the Douro without having to spend time there. I would rather take a day trip back to Guimaraes, Braga or Viana do Castelo, and as you suggest a half day boat trip with lunch/vino from Porto into the Douro region.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 04:23 PM

mike and mel,
If you do take the 10-minute ferry from Cais de Sodré (the "calcilheiro") on a nice day over to Cacihas in Almada, I can recommend lunch at Restaurante Atira-te ao Rio (means “Jump in the river”) facing the Tagus. It's great for seafood lovers. Once at the ferry terminal, take a right and walk about 10 minutes, or about 800 meters, past warehouses in ruins along the quay, Cais do Ginjal. down to Rua do Ginjal, to the end at the pier at number 69/70. Portions are large (typically Portuguese!). It’s open for lunch and dinner (except Monday, I think). Reservations advisable, and you can book online.
https://atirateaorio.com/en/

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 2nd, 2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input.

We've come to a decision - five nights Porto, three nights Pinhao, three nights Coimbra, three nights Evora, three nights Sintra, and five nights Lisbon.

Even with longer visits, there never seems to be enough time, se we'll just think of this as our first visit.

I'd hoped to just book the same accommodations we'd booked previously, but not all are available, so I've had to do more research on lodgings, but I'm almost finished. It doesn't help that we'll be there over Good Friday and Easter, which is evidently a big deal in Portugal.

Next step is narrowing down all the options in each location so we can make an organized assault. Also need to book a wine tour or two.

Maribel - is this non-meat, non-seafood, non-egg eater going to have trouble? I know there are plentiful ethnic restaurants, but I'm wondering what Portuguese dishes I might try. Being a chocoholic, I've already located several chocolate and pastry shops, and I'm certainly not against dessert for dinner Salame de chocolate, Oporto Éclair, O Melhor Bolo de Chocolate do Mundo, Brigadeiros...

Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 06:34 AM

Melnq,
That sounds fantastic! I wish we were going at the same time so that we could meet up. But since we are going a month later, I'll be able to take advantage of your experiences!

Paule
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 09:49 AM

Hi Mel,
I like your revised itinerary very much. Good job!

About non-meat, non-seafood, non-egg dishes (the Portuguese LOVE their seafood (cod, octopus, sardines, mackerel) and their eggs, especially in their pastéis de nata, those yummy custard tarts, and other egg-based desserts):

There are actually places one can buy vegan pastéis de nata:
in the Padaria do Bairro shop on Rua Misericordia 9 in Bairro Alto and at VeganNata in the cool Campo do Ourique neighborhood at Rua 4 Infantaria.

About vegetarian restaurants in Lisbon:
https://portugalconfidential.com/bes...on-vegetarian/

There's everyone's favorite soup, caldo verde, but you need to watch out as it often contains chouriço.

In Pinhão, the Restaurante Veladouro just behind the pier makes a very nice and quite substantial caprese salad that I often order.

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 3rd, 2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 11:38 AM

Mel,
I love O Melhor Bolo de Chocolate do Mundo. They have a shop in the Campo de Ourique neighborhood as well close to the Mercado de Ourique. I was excited to see that they had opened a shop on Calle Cervantes in Madrid, handy to all the hotels in the Barrio de las Letras neighborhood.

Another chocolate shop that I like in Lisbon's Baixa neighborhood at Rua da Prata 97 is Chocolataria Equador that sells chocolates filled with port, among their delights. They're in Porto as well on the pedestrianized Rua das Flores at number 298.
https://www.cacaoequador.pt/en

Also in Porto are the two shops, 6 Meia-Duzia, on Santa Catarina (near Café Majestic) and Rua das Flores, where we purchased chocolate jams in a tube, in a multitude of flavors, made with different spices, pimento, fig and orange, etc. They made nice gifts for our chocoholic friends.
https://www.meiaduzia.pt/en/products...pecial-edition

Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

You had me at chocolate jams in a tube...oh my.

Thank you Maribel!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -