more than Prague

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more than Prague

Does anyone have any special experiences between prague and vienna or salzburg?

I want to drive the whole trip!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Cesky Krumlov is a cute town worth a night or two.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM

We loved Czesky Krumlov but even better: Telc. Very near Vienna, in Bohemia, lovely.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 04:56 AM
ira

Hi N,

Are you sure you want to drive?

A car is not going to be useful in Prague or Vienna, although you could use it in Salzburg to drive out to the Salzkammergut area.

Trains between those cities are very frequent.

See www.bahn.de.

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 06:15 AM

If you are driving from Austria, make sure your rental company will let you take your car into the Czech. Republic. On a trip in the summer of 2004 which included Germany, Austria, and the Czech. Republic, we (family of 4)flew into Germany, where we got our car. From there we traveled to Vienna, where we dropped off our car as we could not bring it into the Czech R. because of higher auto thefts. You do not need a car in Vienna anyhow.

Before leaving home, we found in the Rick Steves' book a listing for Mike's Chauffeur Service (his website in 2004 was www.mike-chauffeur.cz) ([email protected])and e-mailed him and worked out our itinerary. At the time, he had several drivers working for him.

Mike was our driver and he had a large van and picked us up at our pensione in Vienna and took us to Cesky Krumluv, where we spent 1 night. We really enjoyed Cesky K. The next day, he picked us up and took us to Prague. You do not want a car in Prague. We would never have found our hotel in Prague had we been driving ourselves. Mike is from Prague and drove right to it.

We spent 4 nights in Prague, and then Mike picked us up and took us to Berlin, which was the final leg of our trip.

In 2004, from Vienna to Prague (with a one night stop in C. Krumluv) was 7,000 kc, or what was then approx. $230.00. I don't recall what the cost from Prague to Berlin was.

Mike is a young guy, and was extremely reliable, always on time, very pleasant, and speaks English. It was very relaxing and my husband could enjoy the scenery too. It was also interesting to hear Mike talk about the Velvet Revolution as he was in Wenceslas Square in 1989.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:50 AM

I would recommend Cesky Krumlov, also. I also really liked seeing the chateau at Hluboka, which is near Ceske Budejovice -- I also liked that town (CB), but wouldn't call it that special that you had to see it. Here's some info on Hluboka, which is pretty easy to get to as it's in a small town where that's the main attraction, so driving in and out is easy:
http://www.discoverczech.com/ceske-b...e/hluboka.php4