COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

More questions on train reserverations

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:56 PM
David

More questions on train reserverations

I have read many threads on train reservations. Why can't I make reservations on trenitalia.com? If I can't, what is the best way to make reservations before I arrive in Italy?

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
n e hernandez

i am planning a trip to italy this summer and i am being helped by aaa travel agency-they are helping me with everything to include rail tickets-so i would recommend any triple A site nearest you. GOOD LUCK - arriverderchi

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:08 PM
claire

Unless you are getting on the train within a day or two of your arrival in Italy, why would you want to buy all your train tickets in advance of your trip? It is MUCH more expensive. And unnecessary. Just head for a travel agency upon your arrival in Italy & buy your tickets and seat reservations, if you want them, then. An added bonus is that you will have time to maneuveur without loss if there's a train strike announced which would affect advance seat reservations (including, of course, Eurostar trains which include a seat reservation within the price of the ticket). Having said that, I did use CIT Tours in NYC to buy my first set of train tickets in advance because I was using the train the day after my arrival in Italy.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:36 AM
David

I am traveling from Roma to Mapoli on the day that I am arriving.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:41 AM
a--z

David,
Since you're immediately traveling to Naples after flying into Rome, then it is worthwhile to pay the extra $$$ and obtain tix/reservations before you leave. I've yet to see anyone on this site successly reserve or purchase directly on trenitalia. I believe you can do so using Rail Europe. Or thru a travel agent in your hometown.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:42 AM
David

I was going to take n e hernandez's advice on AAA travel service. I went to our local branch. They wanted to charge me $35 to purchase a $30 train ticket ($35 + $30 = $65). Any other suggestions?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Michael

I used our corporate travel agency and they didn't charge me to make two reservations.

Michael