Reload this Page >

More Anthrax......

Search

More Anthrax......

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:18 AM
Laura

More Anthrax......

Anthrax spores have been detected in an employee at NBC, according to CNN just now. I can't find out what state this happened in, does anyone here know?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:22 AM
mark

New York

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:24 AM
xx

http://www.msnbc.com/news/638169.asp#BODY

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:25 AM
april

It is the NBC at Rockafeller Center, the woman that has tested positive has the cutaneous form, or on the skin, it is not as lethal as inhaled anthrax and there had been suspicious mail and the employees had taken antibiotics, she has been on meds for 10 days and is not sick and expected to be fine...none of this making anyone less frightened I am sure~that section of the building has been sealed off...

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Mish

30 Rockefeller Plaza has been evacuated and closed off while the CDC, FBI and other agencies investigate. They are also investigating a suspicious envelope at the New York Times. I have to tell you.... it's pretty horrible to have to live like this. I feel so frustrated at feeling scared all the time.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Frank

Mish: Don't fret so much, this too shall pass. I am also in Midtown Manhattan and know that you can't run and hide as we saw in Florida. We as a nation are in this together and in general I have an optimistic attitude about things. The "evacuating" of 30 Rock is merely a precaution and the suspicious envelope at the NY Times will probably turn out to be nothing. Mark my words, by next year at this time, this will all be just a bad dream. In the meantime, don't panic and just live your life. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Laura

Does anyone know anything about why they have closed down the area in front of the theater district in NYC?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:38 AM
carol

Has anyone heard about an incident at Lockheed Martin and another at Fort Dix? One person heard something on the radio about an hour ago, but the rest of us haven't.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 10:46 AM
carol

Oh, the above two were not said to be anthrax incidents. what i heard was that there was a shooting at Fort Dix, and theft of a truck at Lockheed, and that Lockheed was closed down and shut off. But I did not hear that report persoanlly. I walked into a flag store, of all places, and the owner said he'd just heard this. When I got back in my car and listed to the news I heard only the NBC anthrax story.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Bob Brown

Now we should prepare for the next deadly disease that will strike us in a few weeks: the influenza bug!! It kills people more every year than all of the anthrax infections in the world, doubled. Yet, no one runs screaming in terror when thousands die of the various influenza strains each year. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 11:29 AM
We areallinthis

Bob, I think the world is seeing enough awfulness right now. Let us all try to understand that there is a lot of very real fear around and those of us that are not afraid, can help the fearful, especially with a little kindness. I bet you didn't mean to sound uncaring.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Steve

Much of what we are seeing now is just understandable over-reaction to things we paid no attention to in the past. Just this morning outside of Denver four postal employees were rushed to the hospital after coming into contact with a mysterious white powder that leaked from an envelope. The post office was closed and the EPA, FBI, and HazMat teams sent in. The hospital the workers went to also went into emergency mode. Turned out to be pudding mix. Sad that we are all now forced to be so paranoid.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Paule

I don't mean to be paranoid, but why was ANYONE mailing pudding mix in an envelope? <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Cindy

Maybe it wasn't pudding mix. Maybe it was actual pudding, but it sat around the post office so long that it dehydrated.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Mish

Thanks, Frank for your kind words. I really appreciate it. My girlfriend and I met for lunch today (my office is on 6th and 45th) around the time that word was spreading about the incident at 30 Rock. She just broke down and started to cry because it really is so very tiring to constantly be "on guard" and to constantly be reminded of the kind of world we live in now especially here in New York City. <BR> <BR>I feel fortunate to live on the Upper West Side where I can't smell it or see it.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Holly

Powder received in a letter today at an undisclosed business in Reno just tested positive for anthrax.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Elizabeth

I am aware that we live in a changed world where we don't know what will happen. <BR> <BR> I am also thinking that unfortunately the kind of person who might generate a false bomb scare, for the pleasure of seeing a building evacuated, will now also mail envelopes of baby powder etc. to high-profile addresses. So sad. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 05:51 PM
justwondering

what flavor pudding-chocolate?vanilla?

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Travel Girl

Forget the pudding! <BR> <BR>What a distraction. What pizzes me off is how the gov't keeps denying that any of the anthrax breakouts (new york, florida, more?) are at all related to the WTC terrorism. Read anything on cnn, msnbc, reuters, they all say the same, that our government is denying the connection. <BR> <BR>what a crock of chilli! Chemical warfare is chemical warfare, terrorism, what ever you want to call it. Gloom despair! I read that some wierd envelopes were distributed in Germany. Let's not ask what's next.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Susan

Travel Girl, Dick Cheney was on Jim Lehrer tonight and he said they don't have evidence yet to tie it to the WTC attack but that the coincidence of anthrax cases in both fla and ny is disturbing. Investigators are treating the investigation as if they are terrorist-related because that seems the safest thing to do until they have more evidence. I wish I could remember his words more exactly but "the government" is not denying that there is a connection, just that evidence of a connection hasn't been found yet. I think you can find a transcript of the interview at: <BR> <BR>http://www.pbs.org/newshour/terrorism/index.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -