Mooning in Paris, Venice and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to reading all the posts, we have decided to split our Europe trip as follows:
Paris - arrive Nov 23 (4 nights)
Venice - arrive Nov 27 (3 nights)
Rome - arrive Nov 30 (4 nights)

If anyone has suggestions on altering the above, please advise. This will be our first trip and our honeymoon to Europe.

In addition, we're looking for hotels that are trendy but reasonable priced - our budget is in the range of $125-$150 USD.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM

I don't think you can find trendy hotels in any of these cities in your price range. What would be an acceptable substitute for trendy?

Paris should serve you a bit better than Rome in finding something with charm in your range. Venice has a lot of choices that are decent.

I assume you are talking about next month. If it is 2006, you are fine, but if it is next month, you'll have to hustle.

There are great threads on hotels in all three cities here on Fodors.

Do a search for each of them: Paris hotels; Venice hotels; Rome hotels. You will find tons of great recommendations.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM

I assume you're trying to limit the cities you visit, but a stop in Florence wouldn't be a bad idea. It's a beautiful city, but so are Venice and Rome. Just a suggestion if you're looking for another city to add. I agree with tuscanlifeedit about the hotels - it might be hard to find trendy in that price range for Rome.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Billygoat

My reaction to your subject was WHAT? ":-~

In the UK, "mooning" means pulling down your trousers and showing your bare backside in order to annoy the locals.
It is sometimes indulged in by football hooligans and drunks.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:47 AM

My thought was exactly that of Billygoat, not knowing you can shorten from honeymoon > honeymooning > mooning. But reading ths post, I understood, this was a serious post.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:56 AM

Billygoat
Kappa

I looked at this post for exactly the same reason too!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:18 AM

Hi! I think you can find some trendy hotel...may be this site nelp you - www.viennahotels.ws. There is for the most part information about Vienna, but also it has few links to other site about hotels of Rome, Paris and Venice! Good luck!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:32 AM

I was hoping for a tale of a travelling flasher too! Guess it's a UK thing!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:41 AM
tod

May I enquire as to how you will be travelling between these cities - I guess flying? Train?
Personally I think you are putting too much stress on yourselves and would stay longer in Paris & Venice and forget Rome.
Remembering one day is lost each time you arrive & depart from a city because of travel constaints.
Also if you have problems with luggage & flights thats more stress and delay.
Another post mentioned couples fighting and argueing - I too saw that in Paris and I think it maybe due to all the wedding plans on top of the travel plans on top of the fact you want the most out of this expensive honeymoon.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:11 AM

Paris and Venice can make for a lovely honeymoon. Rome is a demanding city, lots to see, but you could go another time. Concentrate on Paris and Venice, two delightful cities for strolling, even in the rain, assuming you'll have the right clothes and waterproof footwear.

You have a low budget for trendy, as others have mentioned.
For Venice, spend a few dollars more, in Paris, you could get by with a few dollars less. In either case, expect very small rooms.

If this is for next month, this is short notice indeed, but in Venice try the Locanda Orseolo, the Accademia,
the Hotel Ala, I think you might be close to their lower price limits.
Or, do some browsing at venere.it

In Paris, try the Hotel du Lys, the Hotel St Jacques (the latter might be over your price)

Also try eurocheapo.com
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 05:55 AM

It's a good thing you are going to Venice end of November budget-wise. That's one of the lowest seasons and the hotel rates are considerably lower than other seasons.

In case this is about Nov.2005, consider VERY GOOD 4* Foscari Palace. They have standard double available from 28 Nov. for €140.00 per night. Call them if necessary and ask for up-to-date availability of the night of 27 Nov (not available on the booking site). Location good, VERY good breakfast, staff generally courteous and helpful.

For online booking :
http://foscari.hotelinvenice.com/main_en.htm?source=

For direct phone/e-mail :
http://www.hotelfoscaripalace.com/eng/foscari/home.asp

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:04 AM
LJ

I absolutely agree with those who are suggesting cutting out Rome (for this trip) and using the "savings" to slightly expand your hotel budget. The suggestion that Rome is "demanding" is, IMHO, spot on. I know many later Rome-fanatics, ouselves included, that did not enjoy their first trip to Rome at all, whereas both Venice and Paris exert their charm right from the start.

For a romantic, but budget conscious stay in Venice, try the Hotel Tre Arche. It is very pretty with pinks and turquoise, marble and fantastic chandeliers of Venetian glass. It is in Canareggio, beyond the Jewish Ghetto which means it is still accessible to everything but in a part of Venice where Venetians live, including univesity students thus keeping the costs of nearby restaurants and inns down a bit. We found it lovely with a very pretty courtyard for breakfasting or a glass of wine.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Would Venice during the Acqua Alta be 'romantic'..?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:27 AM

only if knee-high plastic boots turn you on...
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:37 AM

No "mooning" is not a UK thing. It's very common here among semi-drunk college kids - they pull down their pants and stick their rear ends out car windows. A very edifying sight (reinforces why most of them really MUST wear pants).

Have never heard honeymooning referred to as mooning.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
(I agree w/ the others - I opened the thread because I thought it was a troll-ish one about mooning/flashing)

OK - you have got some good advice so far (drop Rome, raise budget a bit, etc)

But do you mean this Nov? Like a month from now??? If so, you have cut things very short to find budget accomodations. If you meant 2006 - then you have lots of time - but your budget is still very low. If you DO mean next year, I suggest using the time to save up more $$ and raise the nightly budget a bit.

For example kappa's suggestion w/ €140 per night standard rooms is over $160.

$125 is barely over €100 so you won't get much in the way of trendy or honeymoon-ish.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I wanted attention to my post, hence the "Mooning". It means the same thing here as in Europe! If I do happen to get semi-drunk (or more like very drunk), I may moon the fellow Europeans and write back with reactions!

I am traveling out NEXT MONTH and waited this long to plan the trip further cause my husband had visa issues (Word of advice - pick the Italian consulate over the French one in NYC. They are more friendly and get the job done!). I'm thankful for this otherwise I would be going on my honeymoon alone!

Regarding narrowing down cities...I fly from JFK to Paris and back from Rome to JFK. So, I have to be in Rome at some point. And I really really want to see Venice, gum boots and all! (plan to take Ryanair from Paris to here). Do you guys still recommended narrowing down the cities?

Regarding hotels, while trendy would be great as we're in our mid 20's and would love to be at a "cool" place, I do want the local experience. Maybe I will look into quaint B&Bs and these may be cheaper?

Thoughts?

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:06 AM
ira

Hi PM,

I suggest you book your Paris/Venice flight on www.myair.com.

They fly Orly/Marco Polo instead of Beauvais/Treviso.

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

IRA - Thanks. I looked into that and the only problem is that there is only one flight between PAris and Venice and it's late in the evening. I would prefer an afternoon flight. However, what is the upside to the choice of airports with Myair.com?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Flying at night will help you not waste sightseeing and relaxing time.
Just check with your Venice hotel about a late arrival.
They can arrange to have a watertaxi meet you at the airport if that's what you want to do.

I have files on Paris, Venice, Rome
If you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -