Reload this Page >

Montreux in winter? Hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Julia

We will have 3 nights in the Montreux area in early January. I expect a day trip to Gruyeres and one to the Aqua Parc in Bouveret for the children, as well as a tour at Chateau de Chillon. Anything we shouldn't miss? Please recommend some less expensive hotels for families. They could be anywhere on the lake between Vevey and Villeneuve. Thank you! Many seem to be closed in winter ...

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Ingo

Julia,<BR><BR>Although I am not THE expert for the Montreux area I hope to be of some help.<BR><BR>Do you intend to stay in a hotel right on the lake shore or would a hotel in the towns/on a hill be okay? You should take into consideration that even in January the humidity on the lake is very high and the climate might be milder on a hill. <BR><BR>That's why my first recommendation is Hostellerie Chez Chibrac, on Mont Pelerin above Vevey, easily accessible by car or funicular. It is a nice, small, family running french style hotel. I had an excellent meal there, but don't know the rooms. Staff was very friendly. www.chezchibrac.ch From the site www.montreux-vevey.com I found a rate of 55 Sfr. per person and night incl. breakfast.<BR><BR>There is also Hotel de la Vielle Tour in La Tour de Peilz, between Montreux and Vevey. I saw the hotel only from outside, so this is not a recommendation from personal experience. The rates seem to be reasonable, though.<BR><BR>The same with Hotel Bon Rivage in La Tour de Peilz. Haven't stayed there, but it is affordable. The rate is 90 Sfr. per person and night incl. breakfast. The kids are free up to 12 years!<BR><BR>In Montreux, only a few steps from the lake promenade you find the hotel Bon Port. I only walked by, so no personal experience. The location is quite good and it looked renovated from outside (fall 2000). I found a rate of 52 SFr. per person (kids, too) in a four-bed room incl. breakfast. www.montreux.ch<BR><BR>You should also have a look at www.bnb.ch for cheap accommodation in this region.<BR><BR>I think the excursions you mentioned are enough for 3 nights in this area. If the weather is not good for outdoor activities - I spent a rainy morning in Nestle's Alimentarium (food museum) in Vevey and the Swiss Gaming Museum (Musee Suisse du Jeu) in Vevey is also worth a visit. Both excellent for kids, too.<BR><BR>In case it is foggy down on the lake and sunny above in the mountains, do an excursion by cog-wheel train to Rochers-de-Naye. Gorgeous views!<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Susan

Chateau de Chillon is a not-to-miss. The Saturday early morning farmers market in the main square in Vevey is wonderful and a good way to see real local life (I'm assuming it goes throughout the winter but I've only been there several Augusts and one time in mid-November). I am extremely lucky to have a best friend who lives in Montreux so can't help you with the hotel thing.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 12:26 PM
s

Hello Julia,<BR><BR>Ingo is a wonderful and trustworthy source, as you can see. Ingo, I am continually amazed at your attention to detail and wonderful suggestions you have for these small and overlooked hotels. Now I’ll be off researching more wonderful options. Anyway Julia, you should find Ingo’s hotel choices to fit your needs; but if not, come back and let us know what your price range is (“less expensive” than the 5-star Montreux Palace, for instance, or “less expensive” than the 3-star Helvetie?).<BR><BR>While I love Montreux and visit often (and often in winter!), I haven’t ever visited with children. I have a long list of activities for the area, but not many of them would (I think) entertain the young ones! However, maybe this one will do: see if you can rent bicycles either at the train station or at a local bike shop and cycle either the vineyards between Vevey and Montreux or the lakefront promenade up to the Chillon castle. I know the train station rents bicycles for children, but I’m not sure how young (small) they go. I’ve also seen young kids on roller blades on the lakefront promenade, but I’m not sure where to rent them. Anyway, either a bike or the blades may be a way for the little ones to work off some energy and get them ready to settle down at the end of the day.<BR><BR>Feel free to write if you want more help finding rentals or hotels, etc.<BR><BR>Susan@work -- you need to introduce me to your best friend!!!! <BR><BR>Best of luck!<BR><BR>s<BR>