Montpellier to Arles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 05:20 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montpellier to Arles

Hi,

How easy is it to get to Arles from Montpellier. Once I get off the train in Arles can I just walk to the main sights?

I speak no French so asking for directions would be a problem. I would only attempt this if the navigation to/from the train station and around town is fairly straightforward.

Please let me know.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 02:22 AM

If you have a map of Arles with you, I can't see why navigation would be a problem.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM

Yes, you can walk around on your own, I've done it. Arles isn't that big, at least not the main center which is what you want to see.

I'd get a map somewhere ahead of time, even just Googling some main site, then enlarging and printing out the map that comes up (to the right side).

If you plan more daytrips and want more guidance, I highly recommend a great guidebook, Daytrips in France by Earl Steinbicker. Gives you a map, a sightseeing walk, list of main sites and some places to eat, etc. Just copy the few pages for the places yo uwant to visit and take it with you.

https://www.amazon.com/Daytrips-Fran.../dp/0803820615

For the train, there are some direct TER runs that take about an hour (one at 9:15 am). There are several others that require a transfer in Avignon and take close to 2 hrs total, so do plan ahead.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 07:22 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Perfect! Just what I wanted to hear. I was considering taking a rather expensive guided tour, but i would much rather wander around on my own.

Could i do the same for Nimes? And is it worth visiting Nimes after a visit to Arles. Wondering if it will be just more of the same?

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 07:50 PM

I like Arles better than Nimes, but Nimes is, of course, closer to Montpellier. They both have Roman arenas; guess it's just what you're interested in and how many days you have in the area. If you have plenty of time, visit both; otherwise, I'd just make a choice. The train station in Nimes is closer to the sights than the station in Arles.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:17 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi,

I just booked the train ticket to Arles the SNCF site. For some reason I was not given the e-ticket option for this journey. I have to collect at the ticketing machine.

How does this work? Do I insert the credit card I used to retrieve the ticket? I don't see any other bar code or any such scannable item in my payment confirmation.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:30 PM

IMO, there is no such thing as "more of the same" anywhere in France. If you read up in your guidebooks on the history of each place you want to visit, you will know what is there and what to expect and what might interest you.

Unless you have a true chip and pin credit card, you may have problems with the ticketing machines (I don't know - I have one), in which case you'll need to go to the ticket window and present your confirmation to whoever's there. If that's the case, allow plenty of time to stand in line. Depending on time of year, time of train, etc., it could take awhile.
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 01:34 AM
kdd
Original Poster

I suppose it cab be collected anytime and not necessarily the day of travel?
If so I will pick it up the previous day. Does it have to be stamped before journey?
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 01:15 PM

That book I mentioned also includes going to Nimes. I've done that also. You don't get eticket options for certain train tickets, I think some local runs may be that way, I don't recall. But it isn't unusual.

I've never gotten a train ticket by a machine so am not sure, but I think you will have the choice of English on the machine. If that doesn't work, or your credit card doesn't work, just go to a ticket window, it shouldn't be too bad at that station. Of course you can get it at any time, you've already bought it.

Tickets tell you if they have to be stamped, although I suppose it is in French, but on that run I would suspect you do. Any ticket that is not prepaid for a reserved seat in one train and thus can be used on several trains needs to be stamped. it isn't going to hurt to stamp a ticket even if you didn't have to, anyway. It says at the top, under billet, "a composter avant l'acces au train", if you have to stamp it.

which means you have to stamp it before boarding.
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 01:38 PM

Yes, you can pick it up anytime before your trip. If you get it from someone at a counter, just ask "Il faut le composter?" If he/she says yes, you'll have to stick it in the composteur machine. If not, no. Of he/she may do it for you - they sometimes do?
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 12:12 AM
kdd
Original Poster

All, thanks for the info!

Christina,I have ordered that book. Should be getting it this week. I am looking forward to it.
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 08:22 AM

There is a free shuttle into town from the Arles train station.
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 08:23 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Yes, I have noted that there is a free shuttle. Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 08:31 PM

See if you can swing an excursion to the Pont du Gard, you won't regret it. Count on a day in total. Any travel office or tourist info will set you up.
See http://www.pontdugard.fr/en/practical-information
Old Sep 26th, 2016, 12:00 AM
kdd
Original Poster

I was thinking about visiting Pont du Gard but dropped it because I won't be driving and I am not sure about public transportation option from/to Nimes. Are there frequent buses between the 2 places?
Old Sep 26th, 2016, 02:19 PM

Edgard buses run between Nîmes and Pont du Gard. Google it for schedules and prices, etc.