Montichiello

Apr 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Montichiello

Thank-you for all your helpful suggestions thus far. Montichiello will be home base for 6 days in early May for parents and two teens. Please offer suggestions for itinerary during this time. Should we include Florence? We will have a car. Love to shop, eat, and explore. Specific suggestions for vineyards and purchasing ceramics (dishes) welcome.
Julie

Apr 15th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Hi Julie,

I'm not familiar with Montichiello but and you don't say if you've been to Italy before, but by all means include Florence on your day trips. So much to see! You'll want to read up a little and pick the things that you particularly want to include. There are a weeks worth of museums alone there.

One thing I'd really like to do if I had a car is explore the Etruscan graves and caves. For shopping for dishes, I love the many shops in Siena. The only problem is getting the stuff all home.

Have a great trip!
Apr 15th, 2003, 10:21 AM

If you mean Monticchiello, located between Pienza and Montepulciano, it is a very tiny but extremely charming town. We had a fabulous dinner there a few years ago at the Taverna di Moranda. The views of Pienza are spectacular.

You will be able to day trip to most of Tuscany from this location. I suggest you do include Florence, also Siena.

Maybe a day trip to Volterra (great Etruscan museum, lots of other things to see) then on to San Gimignano in the afternoon, stay for dinner and a stroll.

Another day you might drive through the Chianti country -- incredibly beautiful.

Another day might be lunch on the piazza then swimming at Bagno di Vinoni (hot springs), followed by late afternoon and dinner in Montalcino. Be sure to have a glass of the famous Brunello at the Fortezza wine bar, while your teens explore the fortress ramparts.

I suggest you get any basic guide to Tuscany to take with you -- you can read about the various towns and decide what most appeals to your family. You will also want to see Pienza and Montepulciano, so your 6 days will be quite full. Buon viaggio!
Apr 15th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions. Just the kind I am looking for...keeping them coming!
Thanks.
Apr 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM
ira

topping for julierose
Apr 15th, 2003, 03:43 PM
JBX

>
http://www.grandtour.it/gbloc_siena/gbmonticchiello.htm
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Kudos to JBX. Excellent website! Thank-you.
Apr 16th, 2003, 08:21 AM

Another vote for wine tasting at the fortezza in Montalcino. Montepulciano is one of my favorite towns in Tuscany. It gave us a feel for life in a hilltown going on all around us. I agree with holding off a visit to San Gamingiano until late in the day. It can be so crowded and the street heading into the piazza is filled with shops(think any tourist area of anytown USA and substitute tuscan pottery key chains for the icon of that USA town). I can imagine by evening the town becomes quiet and probably lovely. For good shopping I would recommend either Siena or Montepulciano.