Month in Italy

Sep 9th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Month in Italy

My wife and I planning a month long stay in Italy sometime in April and May. Preferably one week in Rome, one week driving in Tuscany with some time in Florence, and some time in Venice. I think one week in Venice is too long, but maybe I am wrong. Right now I am just looking for hints and tips with air flights, hotels/flats, car rentals, bus and rail. We would probably only rent a car for the Tuscany part of the trip. Ask me questions for more information, and thanks for all the help!!
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Neopolitan

After two trips to Venice of three or four nights each, we rented an apartment for a full week on our third trip, and loved it so much we did the same thing again a couple years later. One week is NOT too much time in Venice and there are numerous day trip opportunities if you want some variety.
I'd also suggest doing an apartment in Tuscany for a week as a base for your driving. We loved our apartment in Montepulciano which was right in town, yet looked out to the countryside as if you were there, and it had parking as well:
http://tinyurl.com/qu2mc

Sep 9th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Here are some samples that may give you ideas. I would add some time in the lakes and end in Venice.
BOB the NAVIGATOR’S FAVORITE ITALY ITINERARIES
UPDATED AUGUST, 2006
Here is an updated version of my favorite itineraries & my “Bella Italia” photo gallery. I hope you enjoy.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3827

1. BELLA ITALIA: Five destinations in 15 days—car & train travel
* Arrive in Milan[MXP] & depart from Venice[VCE]or vice versa.
* Itinerary to include the Italian Lakes, Ligurian coast, rural
Tuscany, Florence, & Venice. Suggested timing is 3-2-4-2-4.
* Option: Drop the coast & rent a villa in Tuscany[ 3-7-2-3].
* Best time to go: May & June or Sept. & Oct.

2. LA DOLCE VITA: Three destinations in 12 to 14 days-car & train
* Arrival & departure from Rome[ FCO] or arrival in Naples
* Itinerary to include Rome, the Amalfi coast, and Tuscany
* Best time to go: Easter to end of October
* Option: Fly into Naples & stay at 2 locations on the coast

3. CLASSIC ITALIA: Three destinations in 12 to 14 days-car & train
* Arrival & departure from Rome—may start trip in Florence
* Destinations to include Florence, Rome & Tuscany/Umbria
* Best time to go: Anytime, but May & Oct. are my favorites
* Option: Consider a weekly rental in Tuscany/Umbria

4. SICILIAN CHARMS: Five destinations in 15 days—car travel
* Connections to Catania & Palermo via Rome or gateway city.
* Itinerary to include Taormina, Siracusa, Palermo & more.
* Best time to go: March to November—May is best for flowers
* See: http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=634

5. THE VILLAGE SAMPLER: My favorite venues for those who enjoy natural beauty and quaint, small villages. Arranged north to south.
* Arrive Milan & depart Rome—car travel-- 3 nites per location
* Itinerary to include Lago Orta, Castelrotto/ Ortisei[Dolomites],
Portovenere[Liguria], Montalcino[Tuscany], & Spello[Umbria].
* Best time to go: May to October for the lakes and Dolomites
* Option: Pick 3 out of 5 and stay longer in Tuscany/Umbria.
Sep 9th, 2006, 11:59 AM

I fenton,
Send me an e-mail and I will send you some ideas for day trips in Tuscany.

Henry
Sep 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Neopolitan

Henry is there a reason you don't want to share those ideas with all of us? Many go to Tuscany and would appreciate the information.

Sep 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

About flying: I would be flying out of Minneapolis and have been told that maybe it would be cheaper if I flew maybe to London and then easyjet to Rome, and vice versa. Good plan, or can I save money elsewhere by avoiding rome?
Sep 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Neopolitan,

It is a very long document. I am happy to send it to anyone.

Henry
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
ira

Hi L,

>I think one week in Venice is too long, but maybe I am wrong.<

Yes, you are. We have spent at least 3 weeks in Venice over the years and still have things to see.

I would fly into Venice and out of Rome.
See www.kayak.com

I would train from Venice to Florence.
See www.trenitalia.com

I would pick up a car in Florence for my time in Tuscany and drop it in Orvieto or Chiusi and train to Rome.
See www.autoeurope.com and www.novacarhire.com.

Enjoy your visit.

Sep 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread but that apartment house in Montpulciano looks really nice, Neopolitan.
Sep 9th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Neopolitan

Yes it was wonderful. I found it on this site, and several other people stayed there as well, but it's now been two years and I haven't seen anyone else mention it for a while, so it's worth repeating.

Sep 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Neopolitan, Which apartment did you stay in? We have a reservation for #8 (1 - 4 were not available). Glad to hear you liked yours.

I think I must be following in your footsteps -- we're in Rondanini in 3 weeks!
Sep 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Neopolitan

Well, Celiaanne, it must mean we have the same good taste.

We were in number 3 (before they added the four newer ones. Our apt. was the one with the balcony with the little fireplace on it. Unfortunately we never lit the fireplace to sit out there at night with a fire -- it was plenty warm without it. The sisters who own the place are indeed charming. There were only two of us, but the second bedroom worked great as a full scale dressing room and is where we left all our clothes and luggage.

Sep 9th, 2006, 08:18 PM

I fenton,

You might consider basing yourself in Bologna or Ferrara for one week of your trip, and visiting Ravenna, Parma, and other places in that region before spending a final week in Venezia.

You have a number of options for cheap flights. There are airports in Venezia, Bologna, Pisa/Firenze and Roma.

A lot of people don't particularly care for Venezia. What is that makes you wary of spending an entire week there? Either it is based on a misperception, or perhaps, given who you are, you're right to suspect you're rather not spend a whole week there. Perhaps if you posted a little bit about what you most want out of your trip to Italy and what you want to do in Venezia, it would be easier to tell whether you''re the type who'll like a full week there.
Sep 10th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

I think I have made up my mind to spend a week in venice. The majority of my time would be spent sightseeing local treasures of food, architecture and history. I think the part that bothers me most would be blending in by using the rails and cars and metro transport. Getting in and out should be simple enough. Any other places that people have stayed in rome, venice and florence? Thanks for all the help again.
Sep 11th, 2006, 09:53 AM

>>I think the part that bothers me most would be blending in by using the rails and cars and metro transport<<

I don't know what you mean.
Sep 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM

If by blending you mean a way to use transportation most efficiently, I'd suggest flying into Venice, taking public transportation to Florence. Then when you've finished there, pick up a rental car to explore Tuscany and Umbria on the way to Rome. Drop it off in Orvieto, train to Rome. Fly back to States from Rome. Or visa versa given you might want to start in the south in the cooler month.

We spent only a couple of nights in Venice our first time to Italy - it wasn't enough although we did see the highlights. We're going back in 2007 to just explore and enjoy the ambience. We stayed at Hotel Bisanzio which was only a few minutes walk to San Marco, near San Zaccaria vaporetto stop. I loved the hotel - friendly staff, good size room and bath, lovely terrace looking over the roofs of Venice, bountiful breakfast. Probably not as glam as others but just right for us.
http://www.bisanzio.com/index.htm

In Florence, we stayed at Calzaiuoli Hotel on the main street between the Duomo and Piazza d. Signora. Loved it for many of the same reasons - staff, room, view, breakfast. But you don't want to have a car when you get to this point in your journey.
http://www.calzaiuoli.it/index.html

Rome - it was the Del Senato at the Pantheon. Do a search for it on this board and you'll read all the rave reviews. Sad thing is that they've also read all the reviews and raised their prices accordingly since we were there in 2003. Too rich for our blood!
http://www.albergodelsenato.it/
Oct 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Topping for the newbie planning a trip.....

BC
Oct 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM

Neopolitan, Celiaanne:

Do you have a web address for those "mystery" apartments?
Oct 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM

Jeanne, by "mystery" apartments do you mean the ones in Montepulciano we were talking about? The ones for which I posted a link when I first mentioned them?

If so, here it is again:

http://tinyurl.com/qu2mc

Or if you mean the Rondanini apartment in Rome, here is a link for that:

http://tinyurl.com/hlqd5
Oct 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM

I'm sorry. For some reason I picked up the thread at Henry's offer to email information. I thought they were referring to an apartment discussed in that email. Thanks for reposting the link.

I'm stuck at that point of trying to decide whether we want an apartment given that it's our first time in Tuscany. It's nice having someone at a hotel to give us guidance. But the apartments look so inviting!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO