Monte Solaro to Blue Grotto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Italy in October and plan to take a day trip to Capri. We intend to take the bus to Anacapri, jump on the chair lift up to Monte Solaro, and then want to go to the Blue Grotto. Does anyone know if you can walk from the base of the chair lift to the place where we can board the row boats for the Grott?
Thanks!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:58 AM

Hi Lucy - I'm not 100% sure, but I think the boats only leave from Marina Grande.

Maybe someone else can confirm ...

Steve
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:59 AM

I've done it twice - got a bus from Capri Town to Anacapri for the chair lift, then another bus to the cliff above the Blue Grotto - I think it was the last stop, where it turns round, so you can't miss it. You then walk down some steps (not many) & wait for one of the small boats to pick you up. Much pleasanter IMO than getting a big boat from Marina Grande & then having to queue for ages to chnage boats. On each occasion I then spent a pleasant few hours, including having lunch, at the beach club next to the bus stop for the Blue Grotto.

Note however that the chairlift wasn't open either time (both in June) - had I not read on this forum of others having done it, I'd suspect it's never open.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the correction, Caroline - I learn something new here every day

Steve
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM

If Caroline is talking about the club with the pool, that is the place to get a boat. Walk down steps to water - this is the best way. Row boat from there just a few minutes right into grotto. I prefer the older rowers who drink wine and sing.

Another magical spot on Capri for lunch is down by the water at Faraglione. It's a hike but what a spot.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM

On two visits to Capri I have taken the chair lift so it is open on occasion! You CAN walk from Anacapri to the Blue Grotto, we actually did this, but I would not advise it. We have a family saying - the vacation isn't over until there has been a Bataan death march - tht walk to the Blue Grotto was the death march of that trip. Was much further than it looked on the map! Really, it was an OK walk, just longer than we anticipated and we got very hungry on the way. Enjoy your day on Capri - the church in Anacapri has a lovely mosiac floor too, if you are interested in that sort of thing.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM

Hi Steve. It is extremely unusual for me to know more about anything than you !