Mont-Saint-Michel; Where to stay?

Aug 13th, 1999, 10:38 AM
Mary St.Mary

Mont-Saint-Michel; Where to stay?

We will be visiting Mont-Saint-Michel around the end of September. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to stay in this area (M-S-M, Pontorson, St.Malo, etc.)? Any must-see sites in this area besides Mont-Saint-Michel? Thanks.

Aug 13th, 1999, 11:02 AM
Jeanie

We stayed in Avranches at the Hotel Normandie. Avranches is close by and has a spectacular view of the mont. The hotel was great if you are on a budget. We loved it. It is run by the cutest French couple and had the most comfortable beds I have ever seen. We didn't have the dinner that they prepared, but we have heard great things about it from other travelers.

Aug 13th, 1999, 12:25 PM
Beth

Mary--
Why not stay on the island? Mere Poulard is great. We stayed there this past December, when I took my teenage daughters. You do have to climb a few flights of stairs, but the rooms were well worth it. Very large bathrooms, the most comfortable beds and so incredibly quiet. It was not inexpensive, so if that is a real consideration then this might not be the place. I felt that since we were only going to be there for one night that I would splurge. The restaurant was also very nice. They're famous for their omelets cooked over an open fire. You can watch them make them through the glass. I'll definitely stay there again on my next trip.
Hope your trip goes well!
Beth

Aug 13th, 1999, 03:02 PM
sherri

We have stayed at the Hotel Formula Vert located in the village just before the causeway.

Both times (April 1999 and October 1997) we were able to get a room without advance reservations. It costs 200 francs for two people (without breakfast). Our room had two beds, a toilet and shower, and a television. The hotel is fairly new and without charm but inexpensive.

If you want to view Mont St. Michel at night, it is a great place to stay. You can walk down the highway and get great photos.

Aug 13th, 1999, 03:45 PM
Sally

There are 7 hotels on MSM.Search on Normandy or MSM and you can get a list of addresses and phone numbers. We stayed at an inexpensive hotel on MSM several years ago. This Sept. we are staying at La Croix Blanche also on MSM. It is really nice to arrive at MSM at 5pm after the crowds and tour buses leave.You can have a lovely peaceful time and can go to the nighttime lighting of the Cathedral and enjoy the views and sunset, spend the night there and enjoy it again in the morning and leave at 10 am when the tour buses arrive again. It is much pleasanter without the crowds.

Aug 14th, 1999, 08:33 PM
Mary St.Mary

Thank you for your suggestions. Has anyone heard of Le Montgomery in Pontorson? Is staying actually on M-S-M more expensive than staying in a nearby village?

Aug 15th, 1999, 08:09 AM
elaine

Hi Mary
That same Fodor's poster who offered to send trip notes on Jersey (see my response to your Jersey question) also
offered to send trip notes on Mont St Michel if people would email her, so
if you Search on either of those topics and find her offer, you're all set.

Aug 27th, 2000, 10:33 AM
topper

For Kavey.

Aug 27th, 2000, 11:37 AM
herself

Staying on Le Mont St. Michel is well worth the price. The tour buses leave and you have the place to yourself. Walking to the top at night is magical. I stayed at Mere Poulard and it was one of the best rooms I have ever stayed at. I think the price was about $100US.Frommer recommends La Terresse Poulard. Enjoy.