MONT SAINT MICHEL SUGGESTIONS

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 11:40 PM
Renee

MONT SAINT MICHEL SUGGESTIONS

Recently returned from staying 2 nights ON Mont Saint Michel. I have a 9 page report. If you are interested, PLEASE e-mail me at:
[email protected]

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 12:34 AM
Beth

I don't think I have time to read all nine pages, but can you give us a short update? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
I spent some time there in December at Mere Poulard. It was incredible! We drove in in the mist and fog and were amazed, even though I'd been there before. Never stayed on the island before though. The restaurant in Mere Poulard was excellent. Where did you stay?

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 10:50 AM
PT

Hi..thinking of going to Mt Saint Michel and have 2 days to drive from Paris to the Dday beaches and was wondering if after we tour the beaches could we go on to MSM ,spend the nite and drive to Paris the next day...Is that doable? Is it too much to see in 2 days/1nite? PT

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 11:48 AM
Jeanie

Having just been to Mont St Michel my biggest recommendation would be to see it at night. We avoided crowds and had the place to ourselves. Starting at 10:00 they have this thing called Imaginarium, where you can tour the abbey all light up with candles and strange lighting with soft music playing. While the abbey was impressive, I think it would have been blurred in my mind with the numerous tourist sites I have seen in Europe. But the imaginarium was so unique that I will always remember the Mont.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Jeanie

Oops, I almost forgot to mention that we found staying in nearby Avranches to be a nice alternate to the kind of pricey places on the Mont. We stayed at Hotel Normandie run by the cutest French couple. There isn't much in Avranches other than a spectacular view of the Mont, but it is close and quiet.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Beth

PT:

It is definitely possible, but you would probably miss many great sights along the way. We drove from Paris to Omaha Beach and then on to Mont St. Michel in one day. The trip from Paris is easy because it is mostly via the Autoroute. The trip from Omaha Beach to the Mont is longer. We were there in December and they had almost completed a new Autoroute. If it is finished, it might take some time off the drive. Although, the drive on the side roads is nice.

You should have no problem making it from the Mont back to Paris in one day.
I would suggest a stop in Chartre. The cathedral has the most incredible stained glass. There are also a number of chateaux along the way that aren't too far off your route.

Good luck and enjoy.