Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling around Germany and need some help

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 08:34 AM
maria

I'm going to travel around germany next week, I'll go to the black forest, the bodensee, the R.R., the alpine road and to munich, nuremberg and Heidelberg, but I have some doubts:
1.- It's worthy to go to Regensburg
2.- Where shall I go in the black forest (should i go to Tubingen and Baden-baden)
3.- And if I have time what should I do, go to the Rhine and Mosel or go to Weimar.
thanks,

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Tom

Maria,

My thoughts,having been to Germany five times and since I work for a German company, Siemens, I may be able to provide a little insight.

1.Heidelberg is wonderful. Be certain to visit the remains of the castle at the top of the hill. It is rather small town geographically but larger in other senses. Scene of a protestant /Catholic battle and home to a major university. Interesting narrow streets and shops.

2.Strongly suggest a town near Heidelberg that you didn't mention. Rothenberg ob der Tauber. Magnificent medieval city with all walls intact. Great place to spend the day. Nice restaurants, couple of museums, nice little hotels,and just the best preserved medieval city in most of Europe.

3. Also near Heidelberg consider a KD boat trip up or down the Rhine. Start or turn around in Koln, be certain to visit the cathedral, outstanding stained glass windows. It's right beside the train station. Then take the KD boat to Koblenz (check out the castles and vieyards, get off the boat and then get back on the next one, it's included in the Eurail pass)and take the train or boat down the Mosel River. Great little cities, a castle...Burg Eltz (best I've ever seen, except for Edinburgh), wonderful little towns with wine tasting ...end up in Trier for a real treat. Trier is the oldest city in Germany and has fine Roman ruins. sort of like a little bit of Italy in Germany.

Personally, I'd skip the Black Forest. extremely over rated, and by the way I grew up in West Virginia, so I know what a forest looks like.

Just a few thoughts,

Thanks

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 09:42 AM
Tom

PS If you need some additional information please e-mail me. I have also been to Munich five times and can offer some assistance there. You may also want to be certain to go to the end of the romantic road and see Ludwig's masterpeice castle Neuwschantstein. (sp)

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Alejandro

I havenīt been to Germany but from what Iīve heard and read, you should also consider Bamberg in Bavaria.

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Maira

RE: Regengsburg. The tour of the City Hall in Regensburg was one of the best tours I had while in Germany. We had to take the tour in German, but the tour lady was very kind and explained some details in English afterwards the best she could. The medieval dungeons and torture chambers at the City Hall were very scarily real...The city is very easy and nice to walk around with plenty of historical (medieval) buildings peppered all over (unusual number of churches...). Two nice surprises; at the entrance of the city hall you can still see on the wall the standards of measure used during medieval trading at the market. Also, walking down a quiet street we came across this stores/apartment building with a plaque stating that was the building where Oscar Schindler lived after the war (he lived at that address for five years). I really liked Regensburg. I picked a lot of info regarding hotels. E-mail me if you think you'll need it.

Old Jul 11th, 1999, 05:59 PM
dan woodlief

If you mean you have a week, I would probably not go to the Black Forest. However, even if the forest itself is not what most expect, the town of Freiburg is very nice for a visit. Its main site is the Freiburg Munster, one of Germany's top cathedrals.