Notices

Monmarte on Sunday?

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monmarte on Sunday?

We are travelling to Paris in about 2 weeks, with 2 children. Thank you to everyone for sharing on this site- it has been invaluable in my planning. I am thinking of adding Monmarte to my itinerary, depending on time. What hours on Sundays do you think most of the activity is? On that day we also want to see the Tuileries Gardens and the Orangerie museum. (We may not actually make it...) We would either have to head to Monmarte in the morning, or late afternoon. Any thoughts?
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry it should be Montmartre
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Lots of shops, market stalls etc. open on rue Lepic and Rue des Abbesses on Sunday mornings. Some of them close in the afternoon, though many places remain open.

But an evening stroll around the neighbourhood can be very pleasant indeed too.

So I'd go for whatever time best fits your itinerary, as the area will be full of life whenever you go!
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Lots of things open and quite a few people on Sunday. I was there about two years ago. We used the fanicular to get to Sacre Coeur and they wanted exact change for the ticket.

All the restaurants were open, the church was open of course, lots of artists on the square, and many shops were open around the square and on the walk back to the metro.
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Depending on the age of your children you might consider the Paris Walks Montmartre walk every Sunday at 10:30. I've done this walk twice and it's very interesting. You'll see parts of Montmartre that tourists don't normally explore. The walk starts at the Abbesses metro station and ends at Sacre Coeur. BTW, this metro station is lined with works by local artists painted on the wall along the stairs.

The walks are 2 hours so that will put you by Sacre Coeur at 12:30. The basilica is not included in the walk so you would go in on your own. Don't miss St Peter's church, to the left of Sacre Coeur.

You can then have a quick lunch at Place du Tertre where the artists are selling very expensive art and wander around a bit in the shops. There will be plenty of activity here in the early afternoon.

The Orangerie is open until 6:00 and it's a small museum so you won't need much time there. I found that the lines to get in were short in mid afternoon.

After the Orangerie, take your walk through the Tuileries.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Montmartre IME is perpetually thronged on Sundays all day- around the Place des Tertes (sp?) where all the paintings set up

kids will love the funicular ride up and down
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Montmartre is fine any day of the week. Obviously weekend days are more crowded.