Money Exchange

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 07:28 AM
Ernie

Money Exchange

Where can you get the best exchange rate for traveles checks in London

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 09:13 PM
anna

Why bother with exchanging travelers checks? Bring enough for one day's survival but use an ATM card to withdraw cash in ponds whenever you need it. There are ATM's everywhere in London. The travellers checks are strictly for emergencies (i.e.the machine is broken). The London for Less card and guidebook, which you can get at any good bookstore, comes with some coupons for free currency exchanges if you insist on doing that. There are a lot of other discounts in there, a free phone card, and a very nice laminated map of London for when you are standing in the pouring rain trying to find your nearest Tube station.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 09:13 PM
anna

Why bother with exchanging travelers checks? Bring enough for one day's survival but use an ATM card to withdraw cash in ponds whenever you need it. There are ATM's everywhere in London. The travellers checks are strictly for emergencies (i.e.the machine is broken). The London for Less card and guidebook, which you can get at any good bookstore, comes with some coupons for free currency exchanges if you insist on doing that. There are a lot of other discounts in there, a free phone card, and a very nice laminated map of London for when you are standing in the pouring rain trying to find your nearest Tube station.

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 09:34 PM
Bob Brown

Good point raised by Ms Anna. I just returned from Europe and never took an American Express check out of the envelope. ATM card in; currency out at the current exchange rate. But I do like having my security blanket in the form of those checks! Been carrying some of them for over a year.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 04:49 AM
Valerie

If you really must use Traveler's checks, I found the best place for cashing them in is Harrod's the store at Knightsbridge. The exchange counter is downstairs. Also American Express offices has good rates.

Old Oct 12th, 1999, 04:56 AM
Jo

They are free with good exchange rates as long as you buy them in not US$$$. Where to cash them depends on where you bought them from. If they are Thomas Cook for example go to Thomas Cook. If they are Amex, go to Amex. Amex is probably the most convenient in London, with branches in almost every area. If you told me which areas are most convenient to you, I can get you directions. Never use the money exchange booths if you can help it. I know that I never like to be without by "security blanket". Especially after I had my card and TC's stolen in Barcelona. I was at the beginning of travelling for 6 weeks. The card took 2 weeks before it could arrive at my next port (by which time I would have starved) and then it didn't even work, whereas the TC's were replaced the same day by an Amex office.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 09:09 AM
Diane M

I just got back from the British Isles. I took a few dollars and exchanged to pounds when I got to London, but didn't really need to do that because the next day I used my ATM card. I took no traveler's checks and never will again. I used my bank card in England, Scotland, Wales, and the Republic of Ireland and never had a problem. It's so easy. If one machine isn't working for some reason (maybe out of pounds), you can easily find another one.