Search

peanut butter

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 01:49 PM
catherine

peanut butter

I'm traveling to Paris on a shoe string budget and am wondering if they sell peanut butter anywhere in town in case I run low on food money.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 02:54 PM
Lori

I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not, but in the event Catherine is for real and is worried about peanut butter the answer is YES. Paris has pretty much what every other place on this planet has. Peannut butter can be had in any grocery store. There are also many places and ways to eat inexpensively too. There are places where you can buy ready-made sandwiches or bread and sandwich fixings as well as juice/soft drinks, packaged salads, etc. While they are more expensive then in the U.S., there are also many McDonalds in Paris. You can also buy bread and eat it "as is" - plenty of people do. Don't eat in prime tourist areas, the prices are higher. A few blocks either way can very often make a big difference in price. I'd suggest taking some plastic picnic type utensils along and a small package of paper plates too (they won't take up much room in the suitcase), they can come in very handy.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 10:05 PM
April

Why not just take a small jar with you? We did. Even if you don't run out of money, there's nothing like a good piece of bread with peanut butter now and then. <BR>

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 02:02 AM
Jo

I found in Paris that their Donor Kebabs (hot gyro style chicken or beef on a warm bagette as opposed to pita bread) were excellent value. Cheaper than a ham and cheese (or similar) bagette and about 20 times more tasty. Very filling too. <BR>

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 02:48 AM
Michael Murphy

Catherine, <BR>Yes, there is PB in Europe but BYO PB. <BR>When we travel to Europe and ask folks we are visiting what would they like from the States the top 5 items are: <BR>1. Peanut Butter - US has the best. <BR> Euro PB is, well horrible, even the <BR> natives don't like it. <BR>2. Mayonnaise - Only Hellmans. <BR>3. Jello - virtually unknown over there <BR> and only requested by expats. <BR>4. English muffins, strange huh? <BR>5. Bourbon whiskey - Smart people those <BR> Europeans.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 05:52 AM
catherine

thank you all for responding to a bon marche`question. I was looking at the Berkely guide 1996 guide to Paris last night and did see a store mentioned that had American food products but they were probably 2x what we pay. I think they have jello, too. <BR>Unfortunately, the days of buying really small jars of peanut butter seem to have been over for a long time. I remeber them from the 1970's. Now I guess its 10 or 12 oz jars mimimum.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:10 PM
steve

DUring this year's Tour de France, one of the American riders who wrote a daily internet column said that the jone thing the Americans missed most was PEANUT BUTTER. So it must be hard to find. Incindently, they were then deluged with PB from home.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:13 PM
Helena

Wow. Even in Prague you can get peanut butter -- and as of this summer, grape jelly too!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:24 PM
lisa

Catherine: You may have the best luck finding the smaller jars of PB at those convenience stores like 7-11 & the like. Of course, you do pay more at those places though.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 07:59 PM
April

Actually I guess I meant a regular sized (plastic) jar as opposed to a hulking big tin. When you're done with it, you can fill that space in your luggage with something from Paris. <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Caryn

I wouldn't worry about needing to eat pb just b/c you're trying to be economical. There are plenty of ways to get cheap food. Go to grocery stores, street markets, and bakeries for cheap food that the natives eat. I ditto whoever said to bring some plastic utensils. Also, there is always an inexpensive yet delicious crepe. Gyros are also cheap. Just don't eat in the totally touristy areas or in restaurants (not too often). You won't have a problem finding cheap food. Also, I believe that McDonald's is quite expensive both here in the states and especially overseas.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 07:05 AM
Lanny

If you really like peanut butter then bring one of those unbreakable plastic jars with you. It can be anything from a quick pick me up, to an excellent snack, to a full meal, if you need it. As a peanut butter fanatic trust me when I tell you there is no peanut butter like the stuff you get in Canada and the USA in Europe. Theirs is JUST AWFUL. You may find imported peanut butter in France but you will have to hunt for it and when you find it you will have to pay through the nose for it. And since you are worried about running low on money.... <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Heallthy

Peanut butter is extremely fatty and unhealthy. Believe it or not there is plenty of fresh fruit available in Europe. Make your trip an opportunity to rid yourself of your terrible eating habits. <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 07:54 PM
catherine

Yes, I have unhealthy eating habits that's why at 138 lbs I'll probably feel like a hippo next to those skinny europeans.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 02:57 PM
debbie

Catherine- Your title grapped my interest as my Loire Valley friend asked for to bring anything with peanut butter since it is hard to get in her area. We brought crunchy (she likes best), cookies and candy, all with PB inside. She was in her glory! By the way, she is British and loves the USA PB so she was in HER GLORY! Perhaps pack you own, but, French food is delicious and I would not give it up to PB which I could eat when I return to USA from France.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 12:03 PM
catherine

dear Debbie <BR>I don't eat p.b. everyday. Just thought of it in case. It looks like I'll be able to afford to eat out but maybe not in Frence restaurants. Maybe it will be middle-eastern and chinese food.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 07:51 AM
sophie

PB is not unhealthy in moderation. It has lots of protein and is probably less <BR>fattening than a gyro. I guess it's just hard to eat it in moderation because it IS so good. I buy the natural kind and poor out the oil on the top.... <BR>PB in France is definately more expensive than in the U.S. I went to bakeries and grocery stores and ate mostly baguettes and cheese. Cheese is much less expensive there than here, especially good camenbert.

Old Oct 13th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Sheila

Have you guys seen "Meet Joe Black"? <BR> <BR>What peanut butter! <BR> <BR>What pecs! <BR>