money exchange

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Jane

money exchange

Please do not chnage money in Montmarte. I was with friends and did not follow them into a money exchange in Montmartre (I speak French). One firend just passed over $500 and got a rate of 6.12. Th other went in and asked what the day's rate was and was given 7.06. Just another reason to take your ATM card only. They are accepted everywhere and give the bank's rate.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 05:04 PM
xxxx

Why such a broad generalization about Montmartre?

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Christina

I think something is missing from that story. Rates are posted in every exchange place I've ever seen; if not, they have to tell you. Rates differ depending on whether you are buying or selling and what you are giving them to buy French francs (ie cash vs travelers checks, and also amount of money you are exchanging). 7.1 is the approx current bank rate, so if someone just asks without further qualifications, that may be what they'd be quoted. 6.1 might be the rate an exchange place in Montmarte gives, it's a little low even there, but about 15 pct off bank rate. IN any case, I agree that Montmartre is not the best place to exchange money; I've also noticed that they have bad rates there because a lot of tourists do things like not check rates and hand over money without asking rates ahead of time. There are many places in Paris you can get good rates on exchange, I know them and they aren't that hard to find, so this anecdote is not really a reason to only use an ATM card unless you aren't good with math and don't ask rates and don't shop around--then I might agree, although some other problems may pop up with that method. I think it is a bad idea to "only" take your ATM card--I would have had no money several times in Paris if I'd done that as several times the ATMs have not accepted my card or been out of money or down. Even the bad rates I've seen in Montmartre weren't that bad, they are usually about 10 pct off bank rate and there are tons of places like that so you have to try to get that bad a rate. I don't think anyone who just hands over $500 without checking rates is a savvy consumer; I don't think carrying around that kind of cash on you in Montmarte (anywhere, really) is so smart, either. I do agree that Montmartre is not a good place to exchange money, but not the other details or inferences.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Arnie

Best exchange rate was at the row of money chngers across from the Marche aux Puces, the Paris flea market. Somehow, they gave the rate listed in the newspapers foreign exchange and did not charge commission or a fee. This even beats using an ATM if you factor in the ATM fee, usually $5.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Ana

Just got back yesterday. The best rate we got was at Galleries Lafayette. 1US$ = 6.8767 (no commission). You can pay at the main caiseīs (counters) in Travellers or cash (no hassle). Questions you have to aske beforehand (if I change xx $ - how much is the commision) There are many non-commision change spots, one of them which was amazing was at the Louvre metro entrance 1 uS$ = 6.8. Not only did we get a great rate with no commission, but this past Wednesday they didn't charge us for entering the museam. Not only were the lines short (for the Louvre), but we got a great deal at our exchange and we got a free trip to the museam. Can' t beat this deal.
PS Donīt forget to ast for your tax refund papers (shoping at same store for a minimum 1200 Frs. and over). 12% savings and no big trouble, they are used to the paperwork.