Money Belts

Feb 10th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Michael Stanfield

Money Belts

I heard Bologna was rampant with pickpockets. Where in New York City can I buy a money belt?

Feb 10th, 2000, 09:00 AM
elaine

Michael
You can order one from Magellan's, a wonderful supplier of travel gear.
They have an 800 number and a website.
In New York you can inquire if
The Civilized Traveler bookstore(s) carry travel gear as well as books.

Feb 10th, 2000, 09:54 AM
howard

No need for mail order.You can buy a money belt at just about any luggage store or travel store. Rand McNally, for example, has two stores, one in the low East 50s and the other, I believe, on 7th Avenue or Broadway in the 30s.
In any event, they're sold all over.

Feb 10th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Richard

"Money belt" is kind of a misnomer. We carry Eagle Creek's security belt, worn under your clothes. When we are on the road, we carry our passport, airline tix, and credit and ATM card in it. In addition we carry copies of all the above (just 1st page of passport) in each others belt. They're not bulky, as a matter of fact we feel "something's missing" when we get home and no longer wear it. Don't get too paranoid, keep some "walking around money" in your pocket.

Feb 10th, 2000, 10:43 AM
lisa

Yes, but there are also actual money belts (in addition to money pouches). My boyfriend has a leather money belt that looks exactly like a regular brown leather belt except that it has a slit cut into it on the reverse side that opens just wide enough to slide in several bills that have been folded up. You can get these at travel stores/websites as well.

Feb 10th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Ed

Rather than a money belt I use a 'shoulder holster'.

Much easier to get than a money belt or 'security belt'. Holds more than a money belt ... in my case most of the cash, credit card and passport.

A little more difficult to find than other forms of 'money belts' but worth the extra trouble.

Many women choose the type that hangs around the neck or is suspended from a bra.

Ed
Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria
www.twenj.com

Feb 11th, 2000, 04:36 AM
frank

My partner's father had his moneybelt torn from his body in Ronda (Spain)one evening by two thugs - one held him while the other tore his shirt open.
(he also had his spectacles smashed & was terrified out of his wits)
Luckily he was able to borrow money from a Canandian at his hotel.
He reports that the police were useless.
Moneybelts will protect you from pickpockets but that's all.When alone in a quiet place you can lose it - never have all your eggs in one basket.