Globus Tour Hotel Choices

Feb 6th, 2000, 01:37 PM
jeffrey thomas

Globus Tour Hotel Choices

I am thinking of taking a Globus Tour in Italy during Sept. Some of the hotels used by this tour are: Rome: Villa Pamphili - Florence: Grand Hotel Majestic - Venice: Ambasciatori - Sorrento: Michelangelo. Does anyone know the quality and location of these hotels. Is for a honeymoon. Thank you.

Feb 7th, 2000, 05:11 AM
Marion

We took the Globus Rome, Florence & Venice tour a year ago October and were, in the words of my travel agent, "burned". Had done several cruises and, of course, many many ½day tours in England, France & Holland -- thought Globus with it's ½ day of free time would be very much like those experiences combined -- some dinners with group, morning group tour and then on our own. What a false impression that was!

Worse was that hotel in Venice -- which travel agent had confirmed was in Venice several times prior to booking, final payment, etc. was NOT IN VENICE -- & we were told less than 7 days prior to leaving even though Globus had booked (come to find out) non-Venice location over a year before. Pay by credit card so you can dispute charge!!

Some points for you to be aware of & perhaps it will help you have a better experience:
1) All included meals are in the hotels -- don't expect to have the great Italian food you read about on these forums. Also, meals are heavy on the red meat (poorly cooked).
2) Hotels are located for ease of access by a large tour bus -- that means NOT near the center of the historical cities. And none were easily accessible by public transportation, which we enjoy using as part of the experience of Europe. Use taxies.
4) The hotels themselves were part of an American chain & you could be anywhere, USA.
5) Change $ before join the tour -- one trick to keep everyone in line is to provide $ changing time only toward end of tour -- and then at their "selected" store -- no lira, no freedom to hire that taxi, etc. We had gotten several hundred in lira before we left and were very happy to have local money in our pockets.
6) Some of the local guides were very good. Several were not. -- The driver was great, the driving was safe & he was very accommodating. The tour director used Hitler as her role model, plus she would be pleasant one minute and very nasty the next.
6) Optional meals and activities are pushed VERY HARD. Only good one was the Sistine Chapel tour. If your tour does Florence, suggest you skip the optional "Beef" dinner -- it's bad pot roast, not what non-tour diners were served, although the drive out in the countryside was nice.

Suggest you check out another tour group.

Feb 7th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Ellen

Ditto for the Globus critique as it applied to my trip to the English countryside.

Out of the beaten path hotels, poor food and you get EXACTLY what the brochure says. So for instance, if you stop and it just says visit "York" for instance, don't expect a guided visit. You are basically just told to meet the bus at a certain time. No local guide, not even enough time to stop and hire a local tour. Very disappointing and misleading. Food was mediocre at best.

If you are happy to be guided around by the nose with a quick peek here and there, go with Globus. If your expectations are higher, find another company.

Ellen

Feb 9th, 2000, 06:25 PM
tobi

Hi Jeffery
Congrats on your marrage. I don't know anything about the hotels that you asked about but...... I also posted a message regarding the difference between Globus & Trafalgar Tours. I did alot of research on several forums. I was shocked at the amount of negative responses. However, I know from experience that 90 out of 100 comment cards that a business gets is going to be negative. How many times have you told a company that you rec'd wonderful service.On the other hand I bet that if the service was not up to standards you would let them know. What I am trying to get at here is that more people are going to complain than praise.I did read some very positive posts. One lady went to Scotland on Globus and"would do it again in a heartbeat" another wrote "very enjoyable" another wrote "we were very happy with them" a man wrote "it exceeded our expectations".
We have decided to go on Globus. We are doing the European Horizons in Sept for our 10th annv.
Good luck.
P.S. see my post European tours Globus vs Trafalgar

Feb 10th, 2000, 11:09 PM
pam

I took the Globus tour of Rome, Florence and Venice ad you describe. I was NOT on my honeymoon.
A vacation in Italy is not about the hotels, but the hotels I was registered in were above adequate, and there were three honeymooning couples on our trip.
Globus does a fine job--ask for Annick!

Feb 11th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Carol

The Villa Pamphili is a luxury hotel on the outskirts of Rome. You will not be within walking distance of the major sights.